digdog

antenna safety

Only thing we have out here where I live is antennas.
Any study done to see how safe the radio signals are on average antennas (1000ft or smaller)?

There is an interesting document on this - there is a link on one of the BASE boards for this - but I cant find it.

Have a search!

B|

Go over to Blinc and do an advanced search on "antenna radiation", there is mucho information on this subject.

Study up on it in BLINC and do search on YAHOO, I'm sure there is enough there to keep you busy all day.

Bottom line, my approach to A's, if it looks like a human bug zapper, I stay away. I tend to favor the sticks with very minimal junk on them. And then, I don't linger around it when I climb. If there are stingers at the top, I don't go there. When climbing past a dish or array, I climb very fast. These things may or may not help, but they make sense to me anyway.

edit: removed url link that didn't work

Jason Bell has something on this topic on his web site:
http://www.vertical-visions.com/24radiation.html

There are much more in depth articles available as health and safety guidance for engineers, but the advice is pretty obvious: climb past emitters quickly- don't hang around by them and don't go in front of them.

Sometimes the strength of emissions are so strong that engineers are advised to call for a complete shut down before accessing the A. The H & S article I read was from Motorola in the US and suggested that over there at least, clear signage is posted at the point of access.

If you do a search on Motorola's site you should find the article I got my info. from.

call for a complete shut down before accessing the A.

Hell yea.. that's the ticket: RING--RING--RING--- "Hello...yea, could you please power down site #123456, me and my buds will be jumping it all day today. We will notify you when we are finished, thank you"--click.

It could happen.;)

Please don't name sites. I'm going to jump site#123456 next thursday at 4:46 pm.:P
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

No Match for this Parent FAC ID in the ULS Database!

"123456" not found in ULS Databases

;)
Gardner

p.s. to the original poster: if you're interested in reading some anecdotal evidence relating to radio frequency exposure, join the yahoo group "Tower Pro" and search the message database for radiation or RF exposure. You'll need a yahoo ID to join. You might also check the OSHA site about RF and, as well, sites of companies that deal with rf safety(with obvious bias on its dangers).

I think generally it's not that big of a concern under most circumstances. I would stay away from dopplar radar (or any other radar) towers, as those are generally pretty high power. For the most part I'd just use common sense: don't linger any longer than necessary, climb quickly past any dishes or aerials, don't stare into waveguides, don't touch coax, etc. I know it sounds crazy, but I'll touch all the metal hardware on my rig from time to time to make sure it isn't heating up. The only time I've ever actually experienced a side-effect of being on an antenna was when I parked my foot next to a coax cable for a while during a rest and I was startled by a burning sensation on my foot. My shoe was very hot at the point of contact. I've heard rumors (totally unconfirmed) of hardware heating up while on towers (hence my tendancy to check the temp of harware from time to time).

If you're so inclined (and anal), you can search the FCC databases and get info on all the aerials on a given structure; these files give info on radiation centers of aerials on the structure (HAAT - height above ambient terrain), as well as power output. Stay away from the high power ones if you're really worried about it, and/or climb past them like the gingerbread man (as fast as you can) YMMV As a side-note, I have two daughters who appear, so far, to be without any genetic birth defect. I wonder sometimes, though... because of the way my 9 y.o. acts. I'm payin' for my raisin'.

Please don't name sites. I'm going to jump site#123456 next thursday at 4:46 pm.:P

Nuh uh.. Your supposed to be doing that other "said tower" next thursday at 5:37 pm, if I remember correctly. :S

Shit bird.

I wonder sometimes, though... because of the way my 9 y.o. acts. I'm payin' for my raisin'.

Oh, you are.

It only gets better though bro. :)

no doubt. man how'd you like to date the daughter of a BASE jumper? I pity the poor fool... "Boy, throw this over your shoulders and go over there and start climbing and call me for further instructions when you get to the top."

:D

For the most part I'd just use common sense: don't linger any longer than necessary, climb quickly past any dishes or aerials, don't stare into waveguides, don't touch coax,

Dude, you told me that I'd catch a good buzz if I stuck my head in front of that big ass dish the other night and man did I... B|

no doubt. man how'd you like to date the daughter of a BASE jumper? I pity the poor fool...

Ah yea, the old "ain't nothing free around my house, boy"

Shit, now I'm starting to feel like an old man again.

Rod

radiaton proof cup ?
"A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones ..."