pmujesab

Currency

About how many jumps per year would you consider enough for someone to be "current"? I know other factors involve here, type of objects, variety etc.; but give a ball park guesstimate.

The best guess I've heard from experienced jumpers is 75 jumps per year. This means one or two jumps per week, or three or four fairly good trips (or, more likely, some combination).
There are definitely major benefits to currency. And while I'd say that 75 is "current" I've seen major improvement up to the 300 jumps/year level, personally. I've never made more than 300 jumps in a year, but I suspect that the benefits of currency continue to increase up to some impossible to achieve level (some theoretical thousands of jumps per year).
I guess what I'm saying is that it's not enough to "stay current" and that some "current" jumpers are more current than others.
Personally, my favorite BASE currency is the Swiss Franc, although the Malaysian Ringitt is pretty good, and I've heard the Norwegian Krone is also excellent (although if it continues gaining strength against the dollar, I may not be able to afford enough to stay current). Sorry, I couldn't resist.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I've never made more than 300 jumps in a year

:onow you make me cry,Tom..Inever tryed to make more than 250skydives a year,and you are talking about BASE.Have you robed a bank or do you get payed to jumpB|I gues it would be the bank thing,havnt seen a sponsor at your chute:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

these Americans and their trust funds!!!! i dont know!!!!!!!! ;);););););)

maybe the families reading this in the UK can learn off the American moms and dads!!!!

hehehehehhehee ;);););)

Alright, 'nother question. How do you find time to make that many jumps per year. Being that i must maintain some-sort of life outside of base (job, family, etc.), I can really only jump on the weekends & I find it very hard to make one or two jumps a week. Even if I went out to my most forgiving object every friday and saturday, I would not be able to jump everytime unless I was willing to jump in "less than perfect" conditions. So how do you guys manage to balance everything and still make 75-100+ jumps a year?

Alright, 'nother question. How do you find time to make that many jumps per year. Being that i must maintain some-sort of life outside of base (job, family, etc.), I can really only jump on the weekends & I find it very hard to make one or two jumps a week. Even if I went out to my most forgiving object every friday and saturday, I would not be able to jump everytime unless I was willing to jump in "less than perfect" conditions. So how do you guys manage to balance everything and still make 75-100+ jumps a year?

I've never managed to make more than 150 in a year, but then again I do have a "job" (several, depending on who is counting) and other pastimes that eat into my jumping.

It really helps to have three things. One, local objects that are reasonably wind-independent (like Ss) and easy to access (no major security drama, short turnaround time). We have one S about 15 minutes drive from town, easy access, low bust. Also, not too much time wasted in freefall or under canopy :P

Two, keen mates with whom to jump. Solo jumping is fun, but one gets more jumps with mates.

Three, a few big trips. I've been averaging around 30 jumps in 10-14 day trips this year. Seems that more than that many jumps in one trip is possible, but I tend to reach satiation and stop jumping so much and spend more time chillin' on a trip after that.

So, if one does three trips per year (Malaysia, Europe, and an open slot for South Africa, Norway, Russia. . . ), that's 90 jumps. Sixty more home jumps, about once a week taking into account time away for trips. That's pretty standard for me at this point. I think if one is to jettison the whole "career" thing for a while, a doubling of these numbers is reasonable in a year. Our you could be like a certain Aussie: move to TF and pound out 300 jumps in three months flat.

Also, and I may be shagged for saying this, but "efficient" packing equates to more jumps - especially on trips.

Peace,

D-d0g
[email protected]
Dog's Den
+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.

I may be shagged for saying this, but "efficient" packing equates to more jumps - especially on trips.

:ph34r:as long as they aint sloby,ill agree whith you.Or then it probaly will mean injuri/death at some point.

if one does three trips per year (Malaysia, Europe, and an open slot for South Africa, Norway, Russia. . . )

I still need a new job[:/]However i have arenged a week at my local A whith naigbourgs,beers and babercue,would it count as a trip...:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber