Hazarrd

Purchasing Weights

I usually just put a 10 lb sock full of lead weight down my pants. I dont have to worry about it coming out in freefall and it makes me pretty popular with the ladies ;) BTW, since I recently got into RC airplanes as well, I have found that there are people out there who like to buy custom/mass produced items and then there are the tinkerers that like to make everything themselves and experiment with what does or does not work. Without both types where would we all be today? Its America Dammit, do what ya wanna do.

***How come all the rich kids get to make all of the jumps?***

See, most jumpers don't have the skills needed to make that kind of stuff or would rather spend a bit more for something that is already made than put the time and effort into making it themselves. Those who do make their own skydiving related items often end up selling what they make to others... isn't that how many of today's manufacturers got started?

I don't think thats the case at all! I am a college student and am pretty much broke. I'll take the extra 20 minutes to make a weight belt if its possible. I'm not a sewer but I am sure I can figure it out.

Having made several weight belts, you can be sure it is going to take you much longer than 20 minutes.

Not the way I described, using ankle weights. Took right about 20 minutes and $25 (I am fairly good at sewing, probably would take a bit longer for someone that wasn't).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Rigging is covered under Part 65. My point is that if they are not made right they can be one hell of a hazard in the air. If you don't have access to the right machines and use the right thread they will come apart under the stress of freefall.

And my point is how do you know that the belts sold for $100 in a gear store were made "right", since there are no standards for such things and they don't have to be made by a rigger?

Rigging is covered under Part 65. My point is that if they are not made right they can be one hell of a hazard in the air. If you don't have access to the right machines and use the right thread they will come apart under the stress of freefall.

And my point is how do you know that the belts sold for $100 in a gear store were made "right", since there are no standards for such things and they don't have to be made by a rigger?

You don't, but then there a no standards for main canopies either. But if you use a cotton weave material and cotton thread I'll bet it will come apart at the worst possible time.:S
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I have a $100 square1 weight vest and it's made right. :P

It's as comfortable as 6 or 12 lbs of lead can be, the weights are secure, and it's well made. I dont care what people wear under their jumpsuits, but I'd prefer at least some level of quality control if you plan to make a belt you wear outside since it might land on my head.

The vest works fine for me, the majority of the weight sits on my stomach just a little higher than where a belt would be. But if i ever need a new one, I'll go with a belt for the reasons discussed by others. I sometimes plan to do a solo and then find another solo at the 5 minute call that wants to do a 2 way. I suddenly need to put on weights, which means taking my rig and the top of my jumpsuit off. A belt could be slipped right on.

Dave

[QUOTE]Expect to pay US$75 - $125ish for either a belt or vest with 6-10 pounds in it.[/QUOTE]

only a moron would pay 100 dollars for a few pounds of lead shot wrapped in codura with a buckle. You don't have to be a rigger to sew, ya know :P

You just called probably 100's of skydivers that know way more about this sport then you do morons. Does that make you feel like a big man?:o
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I have a $100 square1 weight vest and it's made right. :P

Dave

I expect it is. However, the point is that absent standards, just spending $100 in a gear store does not guarantee in any way that it's "made right".

I'm jumping a weight belt made by Shannon Pilcher and like it. Fits outside the jumpsuit, had a narrow profile, and puts the weight where it is easiest for me to handle: on the hips. A friend has tried my belt and now would like to order one, but I've lost track of Shannon Pilcher and the Deja Blue belt. Anyone know if he is still making them and how my friend could get in touch?

...I manufacture the belts that Shannon was selling so contact me...

I've seen your weight belts...awesome product...best one on the market. I'd buy one from you in a heartbeat!!! Unfortunately...I bought mine before I knew you Art. If I ever need another weight belt...you're the one I would call.;)

hugs...

g:)