Eurisko

Question about containers and Chutes

Hi

I'm new to this world doing my first jump a few weeks ago. Like many others I have become instantly hooked and spend a lot of time reading up on the sport and saving every penny to do my AFF :)
I'm having a problem however, understanding how you go about buying your first container and chutes. It seems to me that you buy the three (container, main, reserve) seperatly, If that's the case how do you bring them all together..... Do you send the chutes off to Sun Path (for example... I'm looking at an oddessy :)
Nick

p.s. Some ideas for a first container, main and reserve would be warmly recieved :)
Thanks

Welcome to the forums, and a rigger should be able to take care of getting your gear together.

And, as for what specific gear to buy, let me extend what most people will. Its extreemly hard to recomend gear to somone over the internet. There is no reasonable way to know experience levels, and the such. People will be able to suggest brands as general that they like, what features and charictaristics a particular item has. So model/brand is easier, size is rough. Best people to talk to are your aff instructors.

As for the buying part, often you can buy some or all parts as a set, or you can get stuff seperatly. Just depends on what your looking for and what deals you can find.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

That is the simple end of it. The hard part, and probaly most important part, is finding the right gear for your experience level. And then finding what you will be comfortable with, whats safe, and what fits you right, etc.

Its a process that in the end will leave you very happy.

I am going through buying my first rig right now, and have spent quite a bit of time reading, talking to instructors, people on here, etc. Hope to find what I'm looking for soon.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I looked for almost a month in the classifieds and looked for a full-set with an AAD that had some life left on it. I looked at building a rig from parts, but it seemed too much of a hassle and I don't have the knowledge to do that well (yet).

The big problem was that most sellers (believe it or not) would not send to my DZO & Rigger prior to me paying for it - don't do a person-person deal unless they agree that your rigger at your DZ inspects it for your fit and that the equipment is in good condition.

I made three offers and no one wanted to send it so they most likely sold it to someone else - cavet emptor?

Anyway, I finally found a rig on Ebay that had the size/loading I thought would be fun for 200-300 jumps or so, and then I'll pass it on/sell it back to another newbie and size down - This seller was hesitant about sending it as well, until he realized he knew my DZO from a boogie a couple of years back.

The biggest problem I had was finding something my size (I'm 190 lbs) that my DZO and instructor thought I can handle and be interested in for quite a while - and a good percentage of what I found was wayyyy over where I wanted to go in wing-loading at my experience level (I want to stay around 1.0/1.1 for now).

The rig I found is a Sabre 190 which puts me right at 1.1 - I've been jumping a rental PD210 right now and I have every intention of getting training flying it before I jump, maybe talk to the DZO about a radio on this jump, and plan on pulling very high (as high as the DZO will let me) the first couple of jumps to get some flight time and familiarity of it.

It got to the DZ today, I'm checking it out tomorrow.

Oh, and no matter what, no last minute turns.

- Jeff

"That's not flying, it's falling with style."

Enjoy the Sabre 190, they are awesome canopies...I have done over 800 jumps on mine, and after a recent replacement of the lines, it's flying better than ever...

Talking of which...has anyone here ever relined a Sabre 190?
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies