heftee

Cut away cables

I recently had shorter risers put on my rig. When doing my gear inspection prior to gearing up and jumping, I noticed that the yellow cable to the cutaway system was looped outside my harness. It was too long with the new risers. So, with the end stuck in the little pocket along the risers, the excess just sort of bunched up and created a loop sticking out instead of being nice and flush.
I got this fixed prior to jumping.
My question - if I hadn't gotten it fixed and had to cut away, would this have caused a problem?
My concern was that it might have become a kink or something and hindered my cut away.
Please let me know as I am glad I caught this and very concerned that it was left like this, but I'm wondered what the worst case senerio is with this situation. Your input is appreciated.
Thanks

I guess it depends on how much cable was out there. If it had kinked, it could certainly have caused a problem...but it most likely wouldn't have kinked. The cable and polymer compound that coats it are pretty flexible. That becomes important when it comes to things kinking. Good catch though!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Well, if you had had to pull it out quickly, maybe the loop would have tightened and make it harder to pull out.
Definitely a good thing you
a) did the check before the jump
and
b) had that fixed.

If a normal in-order rig can generate a malfunction, any differing scenario will be more likely to.

So, basically you cut away some of your cutaway?:P
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...