davelepka

Freefly Tip of Today (Tuesday)

Ok, to salvage this somewhat meaningless post, and still stay on topic :P

Do more solo jumps. I often see people looking to get on group freefly jumps, that don't spend near enough time on solos. Solo jumps are where you should work on new tricks/moves. When you are comfortable with a new move, then try it in proximity of another person. And do this on a 2way, not an Nway.

Also, besides the importance of doing solos (which I simply can't stress enough) - do some solo jumps with your eyes closed. Taking away one frame of reference (visual) will enhance your other frames. In this case, the strongest most likely being the relative wind. As an addition to this, you can try doing single moves with your eyes closed. Get a visual frame of ref. - a spot on the ground/horizon. Close your eyes. Do the move. Open your eyes and check your ref. Stayed on heading?

Really, you can learn a lot from solos. Having another person as frame of reference is not as critical as you might think.

I'm an advocate for solo jumps as well....was kinda pissy at first when someone told me I needed to do them, then LOVED the freedom to just get out there and flail around, without having to worrying about kicking someone in the privates ;)........so once you think you have a move down - then try it out with a pal or two....Good stuff

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

Getting a student to close their eyes is a great way to help them "feel" the air. It is not recommended for extended durations, but rather short bursts. Before each time the jumper should check altitude and position to ensure that it is safe to do this.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

isn't it dangerous to close your eyes when your in freefall?
i'd want to be keeping an eye out as to where i am and what height i'm at ....

To be honest, I hate having to qualify tips/ideas/etc. with the obvious safety considerations.

As far as what height you're at - use an audible or 2, learn to build internal timing, and don't close your eyes thru pull time :P . The point is, be safe. I've done plenty of whole dives with my eyes closed, until 5K or so. THink about it - when you're head down - are you looking at the ground seeing "where you are"?

EDIT: besides, there's nothing wrong with opening your eyes during the exercise - it's not "cheating". The point is to do certain things with your eyes closed - be that for 40 seconds, or 2 seconds.