falxori

curing a sitfly spin

"if you get unstable, make yourself small (FF stable or like a ball), so you wont cork."

problem is, if you spin while in sit, feel that you're about to lose it and "get small" you'll only spin faster (like an ice skater increasing the spin rate by tucking in the arms).

i'm asking about the stage where you're about to get unstable, where "be symmetrical, watch your legs, try to look the other way" and so on, have failed.
so how do you not cork and not get into a more violent spin ? (by extending your arms again ?)
O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

it was more of a theoretical question.
i still spin a little bit, but its a slow spin (hopefully i'll get over it in the next few jumps since i'm pretty sure what's the cause)

and yes, i jump alone, wont go up with others until i'm completely stable for a few jumps (and after a coached jump or two,,, $$)
O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

If you are by yourself just experiment. Do 360's and stop on heading. Get a feel for countering the turn to stop it. Check your body position by looking down at your feet and over your shoulder at your arms. Do some cartwheels so you get used to "sticking" a stable position. If you can....find someone with a camera that would be willing to jump with you. That seems to help most out a lot.

Fixing on a heading is one of the main keys. Your shoulders will tend to follow your head, creating a sort of propeller effect for turning.

If you feel yourself turning away, look at, focus on, and get your shoulders facing the heading you want to maintain. Your legs will naturally follow a fraction behind and settle into position.

IMHO, its hard to just stop a spin when you don't know what you're doing wrong (i.e. without video). It is usually easier to force the spin to one side, then stop and force the spin to the other side. Your body will remember how to force the spin to either side...thus, giving you the ability to counter the spin without really thinking about it.

Oh, and by forcing the spin, I mean, force a slow steady spin. Don't get out of control... and if you do, just go back to belly, get stable, and try again.

~Chivo