SkyWeasel

ethics question concerning C/L

So, here's the question:
As a rigger can you open another rigger's pack job, shorten the closing loop, reseal, and make the note "opened, shortened C/L, and closed, did not disturb pack" on the data card, without opening yourself up to liability?

or the short version

At what point are you responsible for the pack job?
"A superior skydiver uses his superior judgment in order not to demonstrate his superior skill."

I'd say you should not do it. There was a recent discussion relating to this with respect to inadvertant breaking of the seal on a rig when testing the ripcord pin. In that case, when the pin was never pulled, I agreed with the rigger who resealed it and noted accordingly. In this case, I think you should not do it. As I recall there were some passionate disagreements. I think that most of the riggers who thought it OK to reseal and note in the case under consideration would bounce to the other side of the argument here.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Well, I have to say that I agree with both of you, this was a topic of debate at the Dz this weekend between myself and another rigger. Thought it would be a great topic here.
"A superior skydiver uses his superior judgment in order not to demonstrate his superior skill."

I have already resealed a pack job after accidentally breaking the seal when doing the ripcord pin check. But that's all I did, and I annotated it on the packing data card. I would not ever do anything to alter the pack job that someone else did, including shortening the closing loop. I will only shorten the closing loop if it's my pack job.

Blue Skies,
Wags