virgin-burner

Avid editing software

anyone here using it!? looks like a pretty decent editing program that can also handle AVCHD.

i think retail is around 200$, as i cant be bothered shelling out 500+..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

anyone here using it!? looks like a pretty decent editing program that can also handle AVCHD.

i think retail is around 200$, as i cant be bothered shelling out 500+..

Which Avid software is only 200.00?
I think you mean Pinnacle, which is sold by Avid, but is *not* an Avid product by any means.
Pinnacle is a decent tool, and if you've got the time to learn it, deal with the commonplace crashes and instability, and your time isn't worth a lot...it'll suffice.
For 200.00, I'd recommend SpeedEdit instead. Or Vegas Movie Studio (which does more than Pinnacle), Premiere Elements, or Canopus Lite.

Yes, that is Pinnacle Studio. It is not an Avid-designed product.
Avid purchased Pinnacle a couple years ago, mostly for their consumer-grade software. They killed the pro product (Liquid) in the process, because it competed with MC.
Either way, all of the above caveats apply.

For the same price, you can get products from Sony, Adobe, Canopus, NewTek that all have very solid backgrounds, actual tech support, new tools vs legacy, and most importantly, stability.

Search the internet for problems with Pinnacle Studio. The 'net is filled with them. But... you can buy a Studio training DVD from my company if you want. :P
We're pretty familiar with Pinnacle Studio. The box got prettier, but the contents didn't.
it does manage AVCHD natively, that's a big plus, but so does everyone else (except Apple products). it also manages AVC natively, but so does everyone else (except Apple products).
It manages AVCI natively, but so does everyone else (including Apple FCS X).

hehe, i'll pass then.. :)
what would you personally recommend for a low-budget editing software to rip AVCHD from my sony and turn it into something that wont bore the shit out of eventual viewers? (sort of) easy to use, relatively fast.. and yea, stable would be a nice plus too! :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Sony Vegas Movie Studio and SpeedEdit are VERY easy to learn. Quality of all the tools is the same on output with the same input source.
It truly boils down to four things:

~budget
~Learning curve
~stability on platform
~Features *you* need (personal preference)

All of the tools out there will do the job. Some are very fast to learn/use, others aren't. For example, achieving the exact same edit in FCP vs Vegas or SpeedEdit will be the difference of several minutes, but you'll be working with what is familiar to you. No application can touch SpeedEdit, Edius, or Vegas for speed of cutting. No application can touch the hype of FCP, and no application can touch the flexibility and complexity of CreativeSuite (Adobe). Nothing is as sexy as Avid (providing you have the room and lighting to go with it), and nothing is as stupid easy as iMovie (if you don't mind all your content looking the same).

In other words, all tools have benefits and drawbacks. If speed and stability are the goal, then Vegas and SpeedEdit are ugly as hell, but they're significantly faster than anything else.
Vegas and Adobe have great re-compression tools for both web and DVD. Apple sucks, so there is Squeeze. Ulead has ease of use, but terrible encoder tools. Avid has nothing of quality for the web, so there is Squeeze. Canopus has great DVD encoding, but their web encoding kinda sucks. Pinnacle Studio has decent DVD encoding, but nothing of quality for the web (their wmv encoder is very old),
Of course...these are *my* opinions...I'm sure you'll hear others.