vortexr1

Edit videofor the gorpro hd

Looking for some good edit software for my gopro.Any suggestions?

Sony Vegas Pro is fast and easy since it can read the files directly from GoPro HD MP4 files. Rendering time is minimum and the user interface is pretty intuitive. It's great for general editing, especially for something that needs a quick turnaround.

Having said that, I personally use Final Cut for precision editing since it can scrub the video tracks more accurately and faster than Vegas. However, there is a heavy price to pay -- converting MP4 to Apple ProRes files, which are huge and which takes forever to convert. Final Cut would be way too slow for tandem/AFF videos, but joy to work once the files are converted to ProRes.

I shoot GoPro HD along with CX100, side by side, and usually use the footage from GoPro since I don't have to mess with interlacing.

4DBill
http://www.facebook.com/4dbill

I personally use Final Cut for precision editing since it can scrub the video tracks more accurately and faster than Vegas. However, there is a heavy price to pay -- converting MP4 to Apple ProRes files, which are huge and which takes forever to convert. Final Cut would be way too slow for tandem/AFF videos, but joy to work once the files are converted to ProRes.

http://www.facebook.com/4dbill

Not to take the thread on a tangent, but the above isn't so. FCP cannot go more deeply than single frame accuracy. Vegas goes to 1/1000 of a frame, or sample level.

Not to take the thread on a tangent, but the above isn't so. FCP cannot go more deeply than single frame accuracy. Vegas goes to 1/1000 of a frame, or sample level.

Wow.. really? I guess I need to play with Vegas more.
Thanks for the correction, DSE.
What about scrubbing? I have an average PC, and I can't get that smooth dynamic real time, non-frame skipping scrubbing on Vegas. Is it my computer or the program?

4DBill
http://www.4dwireless.net/4dbill

What about scrubbing? I have an average PC, and I can't get that smooth dynamic real time, non-frame skipping scrubbing on Vegas. Is it my computer or the program?

What is "scrubbing"?
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

I'd suggest it's the computer.
Vegas has multiple ways of scrubbing because it's an NLE *and* a DAW, so it makes a bit of difference.
CTRL+Playhead is for crap, but necessary for audio cats. It frustrates most video guys. Audio guys don't know JKL w/audio.
And...Vegas has scalable preview. If you're in anything but Preview/Auto, it can bog you down when dealing with highly compressed formats like the MP4 of the Contour and GoPro.
FWIW, my big-ass work system has no issues scrubbing with sub-frame accuracy. My MacBook Pro, now long in the tooth at 1.83, stutters unless I'm in draft mode.
When you use ProRes, you're using the codec most optimal for the app, so it makes things "seem" better, when it's forcing the media to the rule, rather than the rule to the media. And there is always a loss in quality when you transcode. Don't let Apple or anyone else fool ya with anything different. Even when going to uncompressed 4:4:4.

Bob, scrubbing is a way to move the playhead (often called the timeline cursor or CTI/Current Timeline Indicator) around the timeline using the mouse or JKL keys (and sometimes a hardware device like a Shuttle Pro), and have audio playing at whatever speed you're moving that playhead around the timeline.
Even with pictures, we're still predominantly aural animals, so sound becomes the (usually) better foundation for cutting video.

Wow.. really? I guess I need to play with Vegas more.
Thanks for the correction, DSE.

4DBill
http://www.4dwireless.net/4dbill

I've had the same complaints with scrubbing GoPro HD footage in Vegas Pro 9, and I've been using a fairly high end quad-core system. I think I got spoiled with editing MPEG2 files because I could grab the CTI bar, drag it at whatever speed I liked, and see smooth video flowing in the preview window. When I'm doing that with MP4s from a GoPro HD, the preview is no longer smooth.. it's choppy. So I need to slow down in my scrubbing. I can still be very accurate, but it takes a little more patience.

Spot showed me that if I use the JKL keys to scrub, then the preview is once again smooth. Using JKL isn't as fast as clicking and dragging however... so I still drag the CTI bar around and just deal with the choppiness, zooming in on timeline and using JKL when I need more accuracy.