polarbear

CX100/ Premiere Elements problem

I'm having a weird problem with my CX100/ premiere elements setup when I burn a DVD. All of the footage I shoot with the camera looks fine when I watch it on the camera, when I hook the camera to a television, or when I watch it on the computer. However, if I bring the footage into Premiere elements, save it as an AVI or MPG, and then burn it on a DVD, anything on the screen will track when it moves.

Basically this means I have to use raw footage straight off the camera to burn a DVD. If I try to assemble some footage into say an intro or Outro montage and then save it is an avi file to use as stock footage on every video I make, the video will track when I play it on a DVD player.

I didn't have this problem with my old camera (a TRV 19)

I can't figure out what the problem might be. Any ideas?

"Holy s*** that was f***in' cold!"

Once in Premiere Elements, don't render to Avi, render to MPEG 2 or MPEG 4 if you have a PS3 player. Some players may play AVI but its not a disc-play format.
For SD DVD output; ALWAYS MPEG 2
For HD output :Aways AVCHD or in short/rare cases MPEG2.

HTH

I just tried it (saving stock footage) as MPEGS and the exact same thing happens. Raw footage works fine; any footage I have brought in off the camera and saved as an MPEG tracks.

I thought .avi files were the chosen format if you wanted to save footage to edit laetr in elements?

Elements 7.0

The really weird thing is that it seems to be footage only from this camera that gives me problems. Anything from my old TRV did fine, plus I took some footage from a friend's CX100 and it does fine. That indicates to me that it is the camera, yet when I watch the footage through the camera it is fine. It's only when I bring it in to elements, save it, and then burn it to disc that I get the problem.

I'm quite certain that it isn't the camera.
Premiere Elements 7 doesn't support AVCHD very well (although it has support). Premiere Elements 8 does AVCHD very well.
Are you shooting HD or SD with the camera?
Did your friend shoot HD or SD with the camera?

Neither is related to your TRV, which shot DV, the CX in either mode shoots MPEG. (MPEG2 in SD and MPEG 4 in HD).
If you're saving as AVI and then burning to disc, it's going thru another conversion back to MPEG, so that may well be the problem. Try it without converting to avi first.

Stock for whom?
As data files or video files?

The delivery mechanism for *most* stock footage is .mxf or uncompressed HDCAM. Neither of which are viewable from a DVD, but both of which can be stored on a data DVD.

If by "stock" you mean for your own personal library, I'd store them as AVCHD files, which is how they originate.

By stock footage, I mean little clips that I want to save and use one every video I produce. For instance I have a little montage I've edited up that has a scene of the plane taxiing out, then taking off, then it shows altimeter climbing from 0 to 10000, then a view of the scenery from the air. I put that clip in every video I produce. How should I save that?

Why not render them as avchd and reuse in your timelines as source media?
Or as MPEG2 widescreen and reuse as source?
.mxf works great too, which is what I use for most everything, but there are so many options, it's really what you prefer. avi would be _way_ down the list as you're going from temporal to spatial compression, and changing color spaces twice with each re-render.