peek

Some GoPro video from demo

Even thought the GoPro Helmet Hero gives you nearly every kind of mounting system you can think of in the package, I wanted mine on the front of my ProTec so that it would be difficult to hit it on anything.

The still pictures show the metal bracket I made. Two #4 screws and nuts, a spacer, and some sticky foam. With such a light camera, I am comfortable securing it with only gaffers tape. I have been using this camera without the box just to make the whole setup as small as possible.

Since the lens is very wide angle, nothing is critical about the mounting. It is so nice not having to mess with a viewfinder. All you need is a tight fitting helmet liner.

Demo jump was St. Louis Forest Park Balloon Race on 9/19/09, done by the Greater St. Louis Parachute Club, where I help out.

You can see me looking into a piece of plexiglas mirror in the airplane which is how I check whether the camera is on and recording. This works well because I'm wearing a jumpsuit with a zipper breast pocket.

The microphone level is set to "low". I left the raw audio on the edited video (even my strange utterances, which I sometimes don't even realize I'm doing!)

When the flag jumper is landing the brightness is changing, so it doesn't look like this camera handles some light situations very well. To me, the whole video of this jumps seems a bit dark.

http://www.skydivestlouisarea.com/gslpc/

The only downside I can see to the way you're using it is outside the waterproof box, the lens is extremely exposed, and it's not a coated lens. In other words, engine oils, scratch from something in the plane, etc could damage it, hence the reason GoPro recommends you leave it in the waterproof case.
But...it's a cheap cam.

The dark video is a bit odd. If anything, the several GoPro's I've worked with lean towards overexposure, and always has a black dot once IRE 235 is exceeded.

For the dollar, they're a great value, IMO. Perfect for fun jumpers.