madflying

RAWA Front Mount for stills

Hello Everyone,

I would like to have some suggestions (ideas) about how to built/buy and attach a front mount for a CANON 400D on my rawa helmet.

Basically i would like to upgrade my camcorder for a CX105, which i would like to mount on the top, therefore i will have to move the stills on the front.

I am pretty good on DIY, i am open to suggestions, critics (specially for any safety issues that may rise).

Thanks for your contribution.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a Rawa helmet is a regular helemt like a Mindwarp or Nvertigo that has flat side and top molded into it, right?

The problem is that front mount stills are usually found on full camera helmets like the FTP, or the Vapor. Those helemts have that big flat forehead area that leads up to the top plate. This is where the front mount stills generally hang, sometimes upside down off of an extended top plate, or right side up off an L braket.

To do this on a helmet like a Rawa, you'd have to build a mount the would hang the stills in front of your forehead, and mount the video high enough to see over the stills. At the same time, you would have to keep the stills high enough that you could see under it.

So you've got a side mount video, which keeps the weight low and close to your head, and a top mount stills which keeps the weight low and clsoe to your head, and you want to hang the stills way out in front and jack the video up to see over the still camera. Why?

Aside from the location of weight issues, you're also going to be making the whole set-up taller and more snaggy.

Why not just mount the CX on the side? Or get crafty, and tuck it up under the corner of the where the stills currently are?