leapdog

Lanc port installation

Where can I get a LANC port installed on my Nikon D 40? I'm looking to use a bite switch with it.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Lanc is for Sony videocameras, you want a wired remote plug for a still, something the Nikon D40 does not have. If you want to jump Nikon, get a D70S, D80, D200, D300, D90. Or prepare to get really annoyed with the wireless remote option if you're set on jumping a D70, D50, D40(X), D60, D5000. Do a search here for how to modify a Nikon IR remote to (sorta) work with a wired switch. You'll have to do the mod yourself and this method is not recommended for any time you really need pictures like when you're getting paid to shoot them :S So make your life easier and either get one of the models that DO have a wired remote, get a Canon EOS or get your D40 modded if you can actually find someone to do that (Nikon will not) and if you're willing to lose your warranty and such.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Thanks. even though it was really the answer to my question, the info was still somewhat helpful.

I'll reprhase. How can I get my Nikon D40 outfitted with a bit switch?

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Like I said, 2 options for a D40: either mod the wireless remote yourself like we used to do for the D70 or get someone to do the hardware mod for you like Harbotronics used to do for the D70. I haven't heard of any company that will do this mod anymore although there was a post on here last week or so from an Irish jumper (?) who apparently found someone to do it, first I've heard of anyone getting this mod done on a newer camera. Doesn't really seem to be an option as there's no demand for it you'll have to go hunt for a "tinkerer" yourself. IMO you're much better off buying a 2nd hand D70S/D80 for about the same money you'd pay for the mod + shipping even if you can find anyone.

ciel bleu,
Saskia