fred

Camera Recommendations for New Babies

My wife is pregnant. So in the next few months, I'm considering buying a video camera for taking videos of the little one to preserve them for posterity, and probably upload to youtube or other video sites for sharing with the family.

I'm also a skydiver, but nowhere near ready to jump with a camera. But I realize that in a few years, I may want to strap this thing onto a helmet and jump with it for recreational (not professional) use.

I'm thinking HD would be nice, and I see some really inexpensive HD cameras out there, but don't know enough about them to know (a) if they would be good enough to take good videos of the baby, or (b) if they would be the right size to strap on a helmet in 2-3 years.

Since y'all seem to know about cameras, are there any relatively inexpensive cameras that would serve the purpose of both home video and possibly being used for skydiving video?

I've read the FAQ, and have done some searches, but most recommendations I find are 3-5 years old. And current recommendations for HD seem to be for professional grade cameras. Any recommendations on a camera that is not too expensive, would take good home videos (Internet ready?), and might serve as a good plaything in the sky in a few years?

In 2-3 years you will definately be using a different camera than what u buy now. i would say the sony hc-5 or the cx-7/12 are the cheapest hd cams right now that would do both and handle skydiving rigor and are baby friendly if u really think i am wrong.. the cx-100 is a great new skydiving cam, but it is not great in low light situations and is the only drawback for this cam . the hc-5 u can get for less than 500, the cx-100 for $600. not sure how much cx 7/12 is now. get any of the low end sony mini dv cams for $200 if that is your budget. sony is the only brand if u really want to jump with it.. get a cheap off brand if your not going to jump with it. your going to need an editing program, sony vegas platinum is the best , cheapest, program that deals with HD.. good luck
dont let life pass you by