andyturner

Is the VHOLDR safe for skydiving?

never used one, but have seen a couple around the country, usually they're mounted and gaff-taped on with a lot of tape. Don't know about the quality. It's just MPG4 in a 4:3 format, recorded to MicroSD at a very low bitrate.
Seems it would be fine for a couple of friends having fun.

Hi Dude,

Your right, vid qual is poor compared to propper camcorder but I just want to have fun with mates etc.

Used it skiing and crashed a few times. Velcro'ed it to the motorbike. All OK. But if I mount it to my lid and give it a quick jerk it just flys off which is crap for a purpose build helmet cam.

I suppose I could use gaffer tape but I'm just pissed at spending £300 and using sodding gaffer tape!!!

Another quick question: I've got it side mounted and intend to use it for CRW. I was going to make some sort of "Anti Line snag" thing, but running low on time. Realistically, what is the probability of snagging lines, riser slap etc. I.e. is it worth the time and hastle?

cheers
Andy

I have been using the VholdR for more than one year ….. 99% for skydiving, having more than 200 jumps with it.
I applied couple of improvements to protect it from coming of the mount , but it is still regular flat surface mount without ANY change in its construction:
Rubber band on the end of camcorder is protecting from sliding off the rails ….. mainly as a result of being hit by risers.
Additional string between camcorder and a helmet chin strap protecting from shaking, entanglement with risers and as a additional protection.
Additional piece of rubber is put between the mount and a camcorder to protect it from shaking.

That all what is necessary to keep it on the helmet.

I had only 2-3 accidents when the camcorder came off the mount ….. but together with the rails on its velcro connection as a result of being hit by another skydiver or risers.

videos from the camera you can see on
www.vholdr.com/users/stinger

Stinger

Hi Stinger,

I was jumping with it in NZ with lots of gaffer tape when it came off!!! In the end, I made a mount from the ground up & posted them a video. http://vholdr.com/node/22830. The plans are on the vid if you want to make your own. I'm working on a second prototye with a saftey catch instead of screws and an anti line snag/riser slap feature ;)

Thanks & best regards,
Andy