starkmtn

Top-mount helmet and video camera - recs needed

OK, first things first - YES, I did a search. Several of them. But this is a time-sensitive topic and many of the threads about cameras are from several years ago, and many recommendations are for side-mount helmets. So please bear with the fact that this question has been posed by many newbies before in varying forms. I just can't find much through searching that addresses my particular concerns. If you don't want to read another newbie question, move on. :)

I am probably about to get into videoing competitive CF. As far as helmets go, I want a top-mount that will be easy to release if I need it to go away fast. I'd prefer something with one of those nifty streamlined covers like I see on the side-mounts out there, if it exists. Any suggestions?

As far as camera:

I am a _complete_ newb with respect to what cameras are out there and what they do, and the threads I've read so far are somewhat confusing. For background, my current video camera that I own is a giant-sized 8mm from 1995. Apparently, "digital" has come and gone, or so I gather from other threads. So even though I'm not actually an idiot, talk to me like one, because I'm clueless.

And yes, I read the FAQ too.

Thanks a bunch!
"You guys should just do CRW. There are so many more ways to get killed, it makes a CYPRES seem safe." -Kevin Keenan

Are you going to Nationals? If so that requires potentially a different camera then if you are just filming around the DZ due to USPA /IPC rules. If you are going to Nationals rgwn you need a camera that has Firewire. That puts you on a tape based model for the most part. Are you needing High Def quality? If so that limits your options. If not then any old DV camera can work almost. Once you have the intended purpose of it we can steer you towards models but any thing that can be side mounted can be top mounted. Look at Bonehead's website for a list of cameras that they sell boxes for since that seems to be important to you.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

For top mount, I'd recomment a Cookie MXV with Cookie box.

Sony CX7 is the latest in HD cameras. It records footage to a memory stick. They are supposed to be able to record 30 minutes of HD on one memory stick. The only problem with that camera is that it is not set up with a lanc port for a Cam Eye.

If you want to stick with miniDV cameras, I like the Sony HC5. It records 1080i HD and is set up with a lanc port for the Cam Eye.

I had the Cookie helmet and box with a Sony HC5 last year and really liked it compared to the Bone Head set-up I had for the previous 3 years.

Cookie helmets are made in Australia, but there are several US dealers that stock them regularly. I know for a fact that Para Concepts has a pretty good stock of them right now.

Hope this helps...

Attached is a pic of my Cookie before I sold it

With competition video setups it's a good idea to have 2 cameras mounted on the helmet with both shooting the jumps. If one chokes the other may save the team from a low score round.

For CF video a big concern will be keeping out moisture because you'll experience varying levels of humidity as you descend, and the camera will be exposed to these conditions for probably 7-8 minutes. Neoprene camera condoms are good for dealing with this. Also make sure the camera is protected from possible riser slaps during openings. Riser slaps can turn cameras off, screw up the focus, etc. For a top mount you may want a split slider, because your slider will be right above the cameras and a solid slider can interfere with the shot if you're looking up at the subject. Side mount cameras are mostly immune to the slider interference.

Good top-mount helmets: Sky Systems Vapor or the Bonhead Flat Top

Digital video didn't go away, I'm not sure what you're thinking of there.

Chris

My impression is that the CX7 is a no go for Nationals. They need to be able to fire wire the footage directly from the camera and using a laptop would not be permitted. Further the video would need to be played back in SD rates since it must be an NTSC signal for the US nationals or a PAL signal for the World meets.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

....Sony CX7 is the latest in HD cameras. It records footage to a memory stick. They are supposed to be able to record 30 minutes of HD on one memory stick...

You can record 30 minutes at the highest quality if you have a 4GB card. An 8GB card allows 65 minutes and I have to assume the 16 GB cards holds at least 130 minutes.