TonyJ

sony cx7 card reader?

can you transfer video by way of the memory stick reader...Mine says its not formatted...even when i open the handycam utility it still wont find the card? is usb the only way it can work? they send a memory stick adaptor with the card, so i assume you should be able to use a card reader...thanks tony

Have you formatted it from the cx7? Do you have any videos on it? Where did you get the pro duo and what size is it?

Mine shows up as a drive with no problems. I don't have mine here with me now, but I don't think you can go from the card reader directly into sony's utility. I generally copy the folder over onto my PC then use vegas to work with it. I do think the sony utility will "search" through the folders if you place it in your my pictures directory. I don't have my workflow as clean cut as say DSE, I'm sure they have suggestions.

But back to your original question, I would try reformatting the card with the camera. Hopefully you did not get a sony clone. How to spot a clone
HYPOXIC

Anything that reads a genuine MSPD should read the card just like an external drive. I've got several different sticks, all read correctly, some are Sandisk, others are sony.
If you're using XP with SP1 or Vista, there should be nothing further to install.

thanks for all the replies, i have xp sp2, i have formatted it in the camera several times, it has videos on it, but when i go to my computer and click on the drive, it says drive not formatted...in the manual it says dont let the computer format the drive, i thought i read somewhere the only way to transfer was through usb or the av cables... but i cannot find that info now. on sonys web site it says to use a card reader also....i bought a 8 gig sony stick from amazon...i have had a fake cf card before...but i think this one is org....thanks tony

p.s. i hooked up another card reader to my laptop, it reads the card fine, then i hooked it up to my desk top, it worked fine...so my dell 24 monitor with the card slots built in must have a problem...wonder if there is a firm ware update or possibly the pins are messed up...tony

yea, its in my card reader on my monitor.....i used another card reader and it went perfectly...thanks tony

update: i didnt format the card in the computer, i formatted in in the camera..this was causing my problem....after i formatted it in the computer then the camera it works...thanks tony