PharmerPhil

Lens Fields of View Comparison

Okay, I don't really have too much time on my hands, but I got a new lens (Raynox HD-4500P) and I thought I would do a comparison of various lenses in my collection for both HDV video cameras and a DSLR. Someone did something like this a while ago, but they didn't use lenses or cameras that really interest me today. Anyway this may be of interest to other folks here:

http://www.philroberson.com/lenscomp/index.htm

Some notes. All shots were taken from the same tripod location, 25 feet from the door in the photo. The camera and lens used is written in the "Title" section of the web page.

For the video camera shots I used a Sony HC5 and a Sony A1U (I actually took the A1U shots last year with different lenses under the same circumstances, but I believe the A1U and the HC5 have identical fields of view). All the video camera shots are stills taken in video camera mode, so they are representative of what you would see on video as far as field of view is concerned (I think).

The DSLR is a Canon 20D (aps-sized sensor) Keep in mind that DSLRs and video cameras have very different aspect rations. So if you are trying to get a match, it will never exactly happen (at least not in both dimensions). Personally, I like having a slightly larger FOV on my stills.

I haven't jumped the Raynox 4500, but I've jumped the HD-5050PRO a lot and I was looking for something with a slightly wider FOV that I could still zoom through. I have no idea about its resolution. I will say the 4500 is twice as heavy as the 5050, contrary to B&H's specs. I should get a chance to jump it on some big-ways in a couple weeks.

Even in these shots, the loss of resolution is apparent in the various lenses, ...

Yeah I agree. I will say I wasn't super critical about focus when I took these shots (snow was coming). I simply auto-focused on the handle in the door. But I am initially disappointed with the image from the 4500. Particularly the edge softness (that's putting it mildly). We'll see how it does in the air