HeadLicker

Basic Question

Hi there everyone, I am a fun jumper that wants to buy an HD cam. I understand that certain types don't work above 10K. I have also read some of the previous postings, but I think I need some more basic info to start. Can someone let me know what types of things to look for and to make sure I don't get stuck buying? Thanks for all your help
Michael
"Political change which ran ahead of social and psychological development was at best useless and at worst dangerous."
--George Eliot

This might be a fun exercise for us all to go through and help you and others learn. I guess the first questions are what are:

1) Why do you want to fly camera and what do you want to get out of it. Do you want to fly in the formation or video outside of it?

2) What's your budget look like?

You are correct about the 10K. Pretty much any hard drive based camcorders are a bad idea. It's still to be seen how Sony's new hybrid cameras (flash and harddrive) will act.

I think your question is like asking what kind of jumpsuit should I buy? It all really depends what you want to do. (And if someone at your DZ has an old one they want to loan/sell to you cheap)

-Trunk
HYPOXIC

Thanks for your response. I basically want to use the cam to either use while in RW work, maybe try outside/above, as well as freeflying. My budget can be around 1,000, as I figure that will get me a good cam. I will probably use it as a top mount.

I spoke to Monkey Boy, and he was telling me that the Sony will probably be the best one to look at.
"Political change which ran ahead of social and psychological development was at best useless and at worst dangerous."
--George Eliot

I'm thinking a good way will be to determine which helmet you like first. You're looking for a top mount which is not always the best for being in a formation but this is matter of opinion.

I like Cookie and 2K composites helmets but they will probably be out of your budget with the way the euro is. The Rawa is a really nice fiting helmet, the zeus from bonehead is in your price range and may fit you alright. There is a lot of talk about the tony fly and it looked sweet. Talk around to your local guys get their opinions, try their helmets on... Pretty sure you have snow anyway. :)

Sony's entry level Minidv HC's, such as 38, will probably sufice for your needs. In March they have some slick new MiniDv cameras coming out. So if you can wait, it may be a good idea. Of course then we have to talk about protection.....

Boxes for the HC38 or similar may be a little hard to come by, but Bonehead has one that can be modified, others may too. It may take awhile for companies to make new boxes for the next generation cameras so its a risk you take. You can always go without protection and just buy a mount like the gold member or schumacher's, just tuck your head....

Add a royal .5x lens or something you find on ebay and you should be around $1000.

Look around, talk around. People sell used gear all the time. It may be best to pick up a complete setup.

This is only my opinion, everyone here has one. Used gear is a whole another topic...

But what do I know,
-Trunk

HYPOXIC

By the term HD do you mean "High Definition", or "Hard Drive"?

High Definition cameras are fine if the recording format is NOT Hard Drive, or DVD.

Hard Drive cameras will not last as the lower air pressure will cause the hard drive platters to physically "crash" eventually.

DVD cameras do not handle the vibrations of skydiving. Think what happens when you shake a CD player too much.

MiniDV is the currently the most widely used recording media for skydiving, and I expect solid state (memory sticks/cards) to take over in the next few years.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

For outside work, get either a Sony CX6/7 (and a top-notch computer to edit the AVCHD from memorystick) or a Sony HC5 (still needs a decent computer but tape-based hd is easier on the hardware lol).

For inside a formation these cameras are pretty big, but there is no good quality HD sidemountable camera that works.

There is basically no other brand than Sony that works.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

For outside work, get either a Sony CX6/7 (and a top-notch computer to edit the AVCHD from memorystick)

I've been looking at the CX6, but the fact that it does not have firewire (dv-in/dv-out) kinda kills it for me. I mean, it is very useful to be able to copy footage to/from other people.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

For outside work, get either a Sony CX6/7 (and a top-notch computer to edit the AVCHD from memorystick)

I've been looking at the CX6, but the fact that it does not have firewire (dv-in/dv-out) kinda kills it for me. I mean, it is very useful to be able to copy footage to/from other people.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I got the HC5. I also kinda like tape it's cheap and easy, also even though I have a decent laptop editing AVCHD is going to be a problem, and I like LANC.

If you edit tandemvids in VHS quality (linear) than it's a great little cam but then you cannot store the footage easily and of course no lanc makes editing a bit harder because you will probably record too much. Martijn has footage of me checking to see if the camera is recording :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

There is basically no other brand than Sony that works.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12232578@N00/2115486014/sizes/l/

It IS what I always say, but I havent tried al the other brands. Have you? :)
F.I. The samsung VP-HMX10C ...

But then again, after reading several horror stories about people who went skydiving with the Canon HV10 (which IS a promising looking camera IMO), I'll keep reading this forum for now and wait for one of you more adventurous spirits to give it a try... Once we no longer get the "can't get the footage on the computer" or "the digital stabiliser is screwing up all my footage" it is time to buy new. Till then the sony mini-DV camera's ought to survive... :)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

The Samsung is a plastic housing that won't withstand the rigors of heavy skydiving

Then jumping a sony cx6/cx7 is also out of the question me thinks?

Fail to see the difference from the look-and-feel of both camera's in the local shop where I - well, eh... touched and felt them. Both look like they are made out of plastic.

Of course, with a Sony, one expects better quality plastic, but nevertheless... :)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

I have no idea how you could possibly compare the two. I've got nearly 100 jumps on a CX7, it's been great. The Samsung...I wouldn't drop it on the floor, and you can see that fairly clearly in the pix I took at CES, picture quality not withstanding. The CX7 has a magnesium frame, I don't know what's inside the CX6, can't imagine it's any different. Samsung, I don't know what's in there, either, but it's cheap. It's fat, and it's light.
I don't own a Samsung, having looked at the 10 last year and the 20 this year, and both feel like toys to me. If the Panasonic had a decent encoder, I wouldn't mind jumping it more often, and if the Canon could have the piezos glued for stabilization, that would be great.

I do already have a Cookie helmet with a top mount attached. Monkey Boy is right...the budget always increases. I still am confused about how to download to my laptop and which method will be best. I presently have a 3 month old MacBook. I love the idea of a memory stick as opposed to a tape, since I can jump to different jumps and areas without the "rewind" button. I don't know anything about editing yet, but will certainly learn more when doing it. How much do all these effect the camera I want to buy? I also would like a box over the top mount if possible so any hits on it won't effect it. I also hear that the burble on the top mount with sit flying can be a problem with the "anti shake" system in the camera itself. Is one type better than another?
--George Eliot