FFlyer

Going to Singapore - What to get?

My parents are going to Singapore in a couple days and since my Sony hc-42 keeps breaking and giving me problems I figure id take this chance to get a new cam since the prices over there are cheaper than here im sure?

I jump an FF2 helmet which fits any of these apparently: PC6,8,9,101,103,105,107,109,120,330,350,1000
HC18,1920,21,22,30,39,40,42,46,96

Ive been thinking about the PC330, PC350 or PC1000. Reading through previous threads these 3 all seem to be pretty popular,....not much difference? Is there a big price difference between those 3?

I know Sony have discontinued making the PC range so what do you think the chances of finding one in Singapore would be? And what would the price for these be since they are discontinued?

Is there anything else other than those 3 for around the same price?

Thanks.

Advice:
Nothing.
I'm in S'pore right now, (wanna meet for lunch?) and prices here are far higher than in the states.
I planned on buying another 580EX II, best price I could find (and this is with very connected local help) was 422.00. I can buy same from B&H for 349.00 and 14.00 overnight shipping. OS-3 cable in the US; 49.90. Here? 88.00. ]
CX7 in States? About 970.00, but here...1300.00
I'm here on behalf of Sony Broadcast Professional, and according to them, the import tariff makes most electronics these days far higher. Besides, as you go down Orchard, most of the shops are like the very bad NYC shops, no warranty and willing to steal your shorts.
Computer parts are a very different tale. Picked up another BD burner for very cheep in the Computer Mall. Just ask, you'll find it.
I'm here for 3 more days, call the Le Meridien if you're in town by then.

a quick click on Brendon's profile shows he is in South Africa

google got me this: CX7 in SA for R8356 = $1255

so traditionally folks from South Africa have been getting better deals on electronics in Singapore than at home, as consumer electronics are way more expensive in SA than the USA

plus he would be looking for a PAL camera as that is the standard in SA

PAL is also the standard in S'pore.
Dunno about prices in SA, but point is, if you can buy for so much less from B&H or Armatos, it doesn't matter if you're in SA or not, the import tariffs are still likely less than the cost of a camcorder here. Perhaps not. A comparison would turn that up, I s'pose.

You know, that makes me realize I'm not even sure if is more than one version of the CX7?

I know on previous searches I've done for Sony PAL camcorders in the states, you almost never get as good a deal as you would on NTSC, I guess due to volumes.

I'm not sure about the present situation, but SA had ridiculously high import tariffs to protect the local industries and such before they signed the GATT.

I'm not arguing with you here, I'm just pointing out where I think the OP is coming from, as I had the same frustrations before moving to America North.