AS1

Raynox 5050 / HC5 / FF3

I've received a couple of PMs about the FF3/Raynox 5050/HC5 combination. Rather than reply to each one via PM here's a couple of pics for all to see.

The front of the camera fits flush to the box so any filter or lens you fit will stick out beyond it.

Downsides to the 5050 is bulk and thats about it.

The liquid and other single lens types are much lower profile. But they are not HD, lose some of the zoom (which I use on the ground), and at least in the UK are much more expensive.

The 5050 is attached using a plastic spacer ring which MAY be of some use in an entanglement as it doesn't look very strong. I'm pretty sure any serious force would strip the plastic threads. I can't prove this and I've got a cutaway regardless.

Oh yeah, I've not suffered any problems with fogging.

And isn't my little girl cute.

the last pic is funny. I didnt expect that, I looked at the pics first and then read the post. your little girl is cute.

the lens is bigger than I thought is would be. I really couldnt see in the last pic, does it stick out farther than the clam shell on the side? or is the clam shell the widest part of the set up?

Thanks,
Bowen
Retired Tunnel Instructor, Sky/Tunnel Coach

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

The clam shell and the widest part of the lens are about equal.

I think at the end of the day the balance is HD vs bulk. It is a big lens but for me having invested in all the other HD hardware there seemed little point in degrading it with an inferior lens. Others will prefer the lack of bulk of the other lenses on the market.

I use my camera and lens for other non skydiving stuff too which has an influence on my choices and please be aware I'm a camera newbie.

I haven't weighed it but after a few jumps I stopped noticing the weight at all. I haven't changed what I do during the pull sequence (some people reccomended turning my head slightly). For the first few if I'm honest I forgot and did what I do without a camera. This seems to work so I haven't changed.

My camera coach filmed my deployment sequence and the risers touch the box as they deploy but it's hardly a "slap". I didn't notice and can't see it as a problem.