The111

Sony's "flip" LCD's

So I have observed within the skydiving community that Sony cameras are regarded as long-lasting and durable. I see a lot of people jumping 7-year old cameras.

I bought an HC-90 new less than 2 years ago. Last month, the LCD stopped accepting inputs unless it was swiveled out "completely" and backed up against the body. Tonight it stopped lighting up entirely, except again, when up against the body. The camera is not unusable obviously, but this is incredibly annoying. I have taken VERY good care of this camera. Is it possible this is in any way related to the freefall environment (only 200 jumps on it), or is the "flip" screen just a poor idea to begin with, that is destined to have a short occur at the swivel connection point? Is there any simple fix to this?

If it is just a poor design, well that really sucks. My camera was $800 new. It would suck a whole lot more if I spent $2000 on a top of the line model and was still stuck with the same cheap flip screen that died after 2 years.

Not happy. :| If I shot tandems or something that paid for the camera, it would be one thing. But I don't view this as a disposable expense. I only shoot wingsuit videos for fun, and $800/200 jumps = $4/jump.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Could be freefall, given that there is a ribbon in that connection that may have been rippled one too many times from wind. I don't know much about the guts of the SD HC series, but in the PD170 vs Z1, they went to a double thick membrane over the ribbons. *IF* it's just the ribbon, it's a very easy fix, one you can almost do yourself. But with only 200 skydives, it definitely shouldn't be dead already. Any chance you got a Mack warranty on it?

My old Sony, PC 9 is still going strong, and the swivel nearly got torn off it a couple years ago from a drop in the parking lot. I have to periodically tighten the screws in that area, so it doesn't shake lose in Freefall. That camera is 5 years old, and at the time cost around $2000. So the ribon, I can't see being the problem unless Sony puts cheaper ribbon on todays models. To be on the safe side, I'd have someone check it, for an educated guess and decide what to do from there.

Good luck,
Danger