cwilcox

4-way video review

For people who don't use a VCR or a DVD player what does your 4-way team use for video review? I'm looking for anything better than what we use, ways to improve our setup, ways to get more learning out of each video or general comments.

Here is what we use...

My team has been using www.ReplayerStudio.com for about a year now and we love it. The options we like are frame-by-frame, programmable slow motion, programmable fast motion, and looping an exit in slow motion until it is engrained in our brain. However, the best part of the software is the catalog. We have cataloged all our best exits, the best flat blocks, and added in catalogs of pro team exits for comparison. We also add notes for each position (IC, OC, P, T and Video!) to the clips so we can see the notes as we watch the clip before jumping. The programmer has also recently added the ability to play a beep we can mark at each transition. It allows us to hear the tempo of the jump as well as count the points. The software is geared towards salsa dancing, but works perfectly for skydiving.

We save each video in the form of:
YEAR MONTH DAY - JUMP_NUMBER - FORMATIONS.mpg
i.e. 2007 02 11 - 038 - D 14 4.mpg

We compress each jump into a 1 minute 20 MB MPEG1 clip. Upload it to a web server and have the coach/lead upload the new catalog to review on Monday after practice.

We can also store about 400 jumps on a 8 GB USB flash drive and take it with us anywhere there is a computer for video review. (It's faster than downloading them from the web when we go to new areas without a laptop.)

We've also added a Firefox remote control to it and it now operates like a DVD player on steroids.

Does anyone out there know of any better software for 50 dollars or have a better process for video review? Do you have any ideas for ways to improve our current use?

Chad

the 2 teams I was with the last 2 years had used an Apple with whatever software it came with. And it seemed to work very good for them. I would fire-wire to the apple and then be done. They could cut off what they didn't want and go from there. Then at the end of the weekend, burn DVD's for everyone.
my pics & stuff!

Yeah, that is similar to what we were using before this system. DVDs work great and they are easy to make for each practice.

However, we now like our current system more than using the DVDs. We find you have an instant library of any point you can imagine. Say the letter or number and it is there. Set a loop over a really difficult move and watch it in slow motion until you really understand what's happening. Looking at the notes I can tell myself what position my feet should be.

Maybe this type of system is geared more towards teams in a learning mode and not in a mode of a very experienced team?