popeyefireman

Tandum reserve ride

I saw my first reserve ride yesterday, and it was a tandem. After talking to the TM, exit was fine, freefall-good. The canopy opened great, but had a manufacture error and split in the center cell. They chopped it and the reserved it down. It was pretty neat to see and the TM did everything right from what I was told. The customor got a free jump and a reserve ride.......I have had neither. Just glad no one got hurt.

"I Yam what I Yam"

I am not afriad to die, only to die without living.

I've seen several reserve rides, but the first time I saw a tandem reserve ride was about a month ago. I guess there was a high tension knot in the lines, they cut it away and landed under a beautiful reserve. The passenger had video done too B| I didn't get to see it, but it would be interesting. The main was found hours later in a cart at the local golf course :D

had a manufacture error and split in the center cell

Whoa. What rig/loading? Was the rig/canopy new? Did the drogue deploy properly? Did they deploy at tandem terminal? How can a canopy just... split down the middle for no reason?

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

had a manufacture error and split in the center cell

Whoa. What rig/loading? Was the rig/canopy new? Did the drogue deploy properly? Did they deploy at tandem terminal? How can a canopy just... split down the middle for no reason?

i'm gonna go WAY out on a limb here and say perhaps it was a manufacturing error.

just a hunch.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

A manufactoring error can mean many different things. If you deploy at tandem terminal and the canopy splits, is it manufacturing error? There are still things to be learned here.

Somewhere I heard that some manufacturer used Kevlar thread to sew the cells together. According to that person, Kevlar has no elasticity and that past a certain load the thread just snaps. However, clearly this load is well above opening shock at normal terminal, which would indicate some kind of a problem with the drogue.

As you can see, it doesn't seem clear cut to me, so please, answer my question, no matter how stupid.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

i'm curious as to what the manufacuring error was, if that is indeed what the cause of the failure was about.

However the fact that they're attributing it to such and not mentioning any sort of special circumstances makes me thing that it was a manufacturing error that would present itself under normal usage conditions.

I wouldn't call it manufacuting error if they opened at terminal with no drogue out..... i'd call that pushing the gear beyond its limits.

maybe i'm just dismissing it too easily.. *shrug*

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

There is no info in the first post to suggest that this was any kind of manufacturing error. In fact there isn't enough info to make any sort of hypothesis concerning this canopy or this skydive.

M2C
Chris

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

There is no info in the first post to suggest that this was any kind of manufacturing error. In fact there isn't enough info to make any sort of hypothesis concerning this canopy or this skydive.

like this statement? "canopy opened great, but had a manufacture error and split in the center cell."

perhaps i misinterpreted it.. please let me know if that's the case.

I wish i could give more info. I am only giving you what I was told. i don't want to make any of my own assumtions. I am not sure about the drouge. I know on a previews jump it did have a problem deploying. i was told it was a error in how it was stiched. wish i could be more help.

"I Yam what I Yam"

I am not afriad to die, only to die without living.