pow

Viosport Adventure Cam 3

Hi

I'm relatively new in skydiving and I'm thinking of bying a video camera. I've found a camera called Adventure Cam 3 from a company called Viosport http://www.viosport.com/store/customer/ourgear.php?page=ac3_overview

Is there anyone out there who have tried this camera skydiving or have read anything about it. Will it keep from breaking at 200 km/h?

Any comments appreciated :)

we have two. mostly use it for drop testing, but i have jumped it helmet mounted. it works very well. and the image quality is good.

one records to a mini dv pro solid state recorder (very expensive $3k)

and the other we record to an archos av500 (much cheaper, and very nice toy $400).

we cnc machined a protective aluminum shell for the archos av500 to ruggedize it. i was worried about the hard drive skiping on openings and with shock, but so far so good.

Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

and the other we record to an archos av500 (much cheaper, and very nice toy $400).

we cnc machined a protective aluminum shell for the archos av500 to ruggedize it. i was worried about the hard drive skiping on openings and with shock, but so far so good.

Dan, how high are you taking the Archos?
We've played with the Archos a bit for dirtbikes, it works great there with the Sony bullets, but I'm not happy with the quality, obviously. The one I'm really excited for is the new Bella device, it's HD-ready, at about the same price as the Archos box, but it requires a converter.

im pretty happy so far with the archos av 500. its quality seems comparable to a <$500 mini dv cameras and we use it to get shots we couldnt use a mini dv for . and what it may lack in high end performance it makes up for in being such a neat gadget.

personally i dont much enjoy jumping camera/video gear I view it as an added complication in a dangerous activity. for work it is many times a requirement for me. for fun jumping i choose not to have the added variable, but i do wish to capture the moment. i have been thinking about mounting one of our bullet cameras and av500 to my sport helmet. the overal weight and profile would be nearly the same as with no video at all.

i will let you know how it stand up to repeated use.
and can post an image of the cnc machined aluminum case we made for it, if you are interested...

Daniel Preston <><>

ok here is an aluminimum case we just machined for the archos gemini hd video camcorder. this is to be used on cargo drops.

i will post the archos av 500 case pictures soon...

Daniel Preston <><>

Thank you for good and informative answers. Just let me ask you a few follow-up questions...

Would you say that the quality with the adventure cam plugged into a mini-dv camera is as good (or almost as good) as videos recorded by the camera itself?

If I read between the lines here, the Archos device gives quality good enough for funjumping, but not as good as say a Sony DCR PC-330E?