snafuhere

Canon KIT lens 18-55 (REBEL XT/350D)

You're using an aperture of f11, too. Try around 6.

This is going to do two things though. The larger aperture will decrease the depth of field. If he is still using auto focus that wont make as big of difference but it could add more blur.

I have the XT with the stock lens only and have a taped down manual focus at about 5-7 feet. I run my camera on P mode. I normally get pretty decent pictures. There are times I might be able to do better with auto focus but I will take a little bit of blur over missing a picture because the AF is freaking out.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

You're using an aperture of f11, too. Try around 6.

This is going to do two things though. The larger aperture will decrease the depth of field. If he is still using auto focus that wont make as big of difference but it could add more blur.

Which is why I said

"Use Manual focus, back the lens down to it's widest, then focus on somehting on the ground, which is the same distance as you'll be shooting at in the air. "