goobersnuftda

Cleaning Sensor for first time - Canon 20D

I have had my Canon 20D for two months now and after several trips, I am at 2,900 pictures. I read on the internet that you should clean your camera soon because through the manufacturing process and shipping, those little hidden surprises work their way loose after inital use.

The very first INSANE place to buy a cleaning brush was HERE. Scroll down and you will see that $130 for a brush is insane. The only advantage to this brush is that it is activated or "charged" by simply blowing air on it.

I chose to go HERE. $12.95 is a more reasonable product. Only difference is that you "charge" the brush by rubbing in on a piece of supplied vellum paper. Friction makes this one get its charge instead of blowing air on it. For a difference in $117, I think I can handle the extra work load. *Note* If you are a Canadian type person, ask if you can get it via MAIL. Typical US shpping is always default to stupid UPS. A $30 brokerage charge for a $12 brush makes you feel oh, so very special.

A fellow club member made a little video for me to help teach me the cleaning method and after reading the supplied instructions with the brush. I am brave enough to start some cleaning. I am impressed with the results. The brush method of cleaning the sensor is a less invasive procedure than the wet methanol cleaning pad. I will save that skill for when a really hard piece of gunk decides to glue its self on the sensor. For the first cleaning, I had to do 4 cleaning passes to get the final results.

I have included the BEFORE and AFTER pictures. Now that I can really scout for the dirt, I can still see some very small specs in some places but when I took a test shot, you can see nothing.

I will also offer my TEST shot as I did before. Does anyone see a better quality picture? May I speculate that there will be no complaints :)