adrenalinejunki

Camera advice?

Don't get fixated on megapixels. If you buy a digital slr even 3 megapixel is better than way more mp on a small digi camera, because the sensor is way bigger (as is the lens). IE you're better off quality wise with a second hand EOS D30 or D60 than with a new small camera.
A 300D is rubbish really.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Do a search on this forum, there are several problems with it. It's a toy camera compared to the rest of the DSLR's. I don't know any top cameramen who (still) use it. For instance, a week of error99's during a world record is not funny.

Don't know about the 350D yet, haven't heard much about it. But the 300D like I said is rubbish. It's not reliable, mainly. I couldn't get rid of mine fast enough, even though I got a full page print in Parachutist with it last year...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Do a search on this forum, there are several problems with it. It's a toy camera compared to the rest of the DSLR's.

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with that. It works fine, it's only limitation is the frame rate, which is more than adequate for skydiving. The frame rate is faster than my film SLR.

If I was buying a camera today I would probably spend the few extra dollars to get the 350D (Rebel XT), but if I was on a budget a used 300D would be just fine.

It has proven to me to be a very reliable camera. I've put close to 400 jumps on mine.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Do a search on this forum, there are several problems with it. It's a toy camera compared to the rest of the DSLR's.

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with that. It works fine, it's only limitation is the frame rate, which is more than adequate for skydiving. The frame rate is faster than my film SLR.

If I was buying a camera today I would probably spend the few extra dollars to get the 350D (Rebel XT), but if I was on a budget a used 300D would be just fine.

It has proven to me to be a very reliable camera. I've put close to 400 jumps on mine.

_Am

Maybe for regular tandem/FS4 etc it's fine, but it doesn't have spot metering (IMO a must for any Canon camera), it's slower than the other dslr's (although still fast enough for most freefall stuff of course), and the biggest problem, it hangs all the time. Different 300D's gave nothing but error99 when jumping from C130's, at 22000 ft but also as low as exits from 16000ft. Both in Thailand and in The Netherlands, different climates too. I've seen 10D's and 20D's do the same BTW but much more rarely.

Both Nikon's and the other Canon's lightmetering is way better. The body is cheap plastic (although an advantage when it comes to the weight). It's slow. It hangs a lot during skydiving, this probably has to do with the cheap plastic body. Pictures from D10's and D20's are simply better.

I was always a Canon fan, but I cannot in honesty recommend this camera to anyone for skydiving purposes. Nor can any of the "pro" cameraguys I've talked to about this camera. Mabe I hang with fussy cameraguys too much and it's rubbing off :P But hey, it's your money.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

In two years the only time I've ever had my 300D hangwas when using old off-brand lenses. I use mine regularly on hot+humid and cold+dry, at altitudes of up to 16,000.

I understand that it's not a "pro" camera, but unless you're somebody who makes the majority of their income from skydiving... Neither are you! ;). It's the most popular camera at my DZ, and is used by all the the fulltime tandem photographers. I mention this not because they're great photographers (they're not), but because if there were reliability issues they'd be sure to find them.

It may not have spot-metering, but rarely do my shots have exposure or focusing issues.

Not everybody needs a $2000+ camera. For the most of us, the $800 one works just fine. In my case, the $800 is now worth $500... and it still works just fine.

It may not be the choice of famous profesionals, but for most weekend warriers it's more than good enough.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

spot metering (IMO a must for any Canon camera)

Spot metering exists only on the 5D and the 1 series. The 5D means you are looking at more than 2.5 times the cost of a 20D, or more than 4 times the cost of a Rebel XT/Rebel 350.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

nikon d2x 1st choice
d-70 second
d200 third
buttttt you will not jump it due to $$$
after paying for camera whos got $ to jump

My first choice would be the D200, it got most of the features of a D2X and is still jumpable as far as size and weight go. As far as money goes... I'll have to stick to my D70 ;) D70/D70s is not that expensive, at least not compared to the rest...

And I'll probably get to play with a D200, if only on the ground :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

spot metering (IMO a must for any Canon camera)

Spot metering exists only on the 5D and the 1 series. The 5D means you are looking at more than 2.5 times the cost of a 20D, or more than 4 times the cost of a Rebel XT/Rebel 350.

Mmm you're right I thought the D10/D20 had spot metering. But at least they have center weighted and partial, which work fine, the 300D doesn't. I had problems with my 300D when shooting landings, had to over-expose usually. Never had to do that with my D30 or my 50E.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Mmm you're right I thought the D10/D20 had spot metering. But at least they have center weighted and partial, which work fine, the 300D doesn't.

According to the specs (I've never used one), the 300 has partial, and also has center weighted but only for manual exposure. That seems a little odd. The 350 has all three modes without the manual exposure restriction - again, that's according to the specs as I've never used one (I have a 20D).
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

...It's a toy camera compared to the rest of the DSLR's. ... But the 300D like I said is rubbish. It's not reliable, mainly. ...

I have to disagree... mine is now over 12.000 pics, most of them in very harsh environment. To put it lightly I don't treat it well. :)
Regarding skydiving, mine has no more than 100 jumps and never above 16 kft but it has performed flawlessly.

Obviously, it's not a professional DSLR. But someone looking for something below $500 will hardly qualify as pro user??

Carlos Martins
Portugal www.cj.smugmug.com