INSANEDADDY

Cam Eye mounting on RAWA

I am in the process of rigging my new camera helmet. I did not have a cam eye on my last set up. My question is where is the best location to mount the switch? Outside the helmet and cover with gaffers tape? Or drill a hole and mount the switch inside the helmet with the red button protruding out of the helmet? I am leaning towards drilling a hole and mounting inside. It would be a much cleaner install. Thoughts? Suggestions?

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.
-BASE 1605 Night BASE 227

Sorry, I have no answers...but I do have questions. I just got my RAWA yesterday (great helmet) and the problem I'm having is, the camera fits in the box so snug that there is no room for the "cam eye plug." Do I drill a hole through the side of the helmet into the box and plug it in that way? Nothing like spending $300 on something and then taking a drill to it.[:/]

What kind of camera are you running? I am running the new 330. The plug on the 330 is on the right hand side of the camera (helmet side). I could see where it would be a problem with the jack on the front of the camera. The box is a really tight fit. I am going to drill a hole and mount the switch from the inside. That way the only thing exposed will be the red switch.

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.

PC109...Mine is on the right side also. I wanted to plug it in and run the wire out the hole in the back of the box, having everything taped on the outside of the helmet. But that is not going to work. So will you be drilling two holes? One for the plug and one for the switch?

Yes, I will be drilling two holes. I drilled my first hole last night for the LANC plug. (through the box into the helmet) Now I am looking for the right location to drill for the switch. I know you hate to drill on your new helmet. It will look so much cleaner installed inside the helmet with just the switch sticking out. Check this out:

http://www.pierltd.com/new/mountinginstructions/professional_camera_set_ups.htm

If you look at the picture for the switch you will notice they removed the plastic cover around the switch. That is what i am going to do. I tried to remove it last night with no luck. I don't want to mess up my new cam eye trying to pry that little bugger open. Can someone chime in on how to remove the plastic housing the switch is in?

UPDATE.......I cut the plastic housing open on my new cam eye and mounted the switch on the inside of the helmet. I drilled another small hole for my switch. I have just the cam eye internals taped inside with the little red button sticking out. Now I just have a small red button protruding through the helmet. This is a MUCH cleaner install. It did scare me cutting up my brand new, 55 dollar cam eye though. Hopefully today I will make my BEER jump with this new set up.:P