Shivon

Second hand stills camera - value for money?

I have a TRV22 which I plan to mount in a bonehead box on a Batrak. I am now looking for a stills camera to complete the setup. Question is: if you were starting out (again), would you:

a. Wait a little longer to save up for a suitable digital. My assumption is that a digital is going to be more expensive initially, or

b. Buy a second hand conventional camera which will be less expensive, but will have ongoing costs like film / processing. I have been told that an option may be an EOS 500.

Thoughts? For either option, suggestions on models would be appreciated.

Depends on what you want to do with the stills.

For tandem/student work -- film is still the king. If in the operation in question the customer pays for the film, then it's a no brainer.

For publication -- digital makes things a lot easier and less expensive for the photographer in the long run. You'll recoop the cost of the camera in not having to pay for film and processing -- quickly.

So, why do you want to hang a still camera on your head?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

As with the DV camera, subjects are going to be 4-way RW teams and tandems.

In the short term, the camera setup won't be for profit, but a little later down the track I want to be filming tandems and burning a DVD of their jump instead of the way my DZ currently does it - on a VCR tape.

Now, how much the stills camera will be involved in that - I am not sure. At present, our DZ camera flyer uses a DV camera alone (with no stills capability) when putting the tandem videos together - and the result is quite polished. Certainly digital stills would be easier to include in the DVD, but how much it will be used? I don't know.

Hope that complicates things sufficiently. ;)