freakydiver

Premeire 6.0 and two monitor setup question...

Is anyone out there using Premeire 6 and a two monitor setup? If so, what kind of graphics card capability should I be looking for in terms of outputs and how do you like your setup. I've been jonsing for a two monitor setup ever since working in a "real" video editing suite years back. I don't even know if its possible with Premeiere althought I'd be suprised if it wasn't...

Thanks in advance!

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

I have used the Matrox G550 with good results on dual-monitor setups.

The G550 is also compatible with Avid, and supports different types of configurations. I use the single virtual monitor configuration with two identical flat panels. When I was using CRT's, I used independant settings on each.

The G550 is no good for gaming, but if you have a dedicated NLE machine...

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

I'm using the matrox g400 an older model of the Cajones. Workes good. I'll hopefully be updating to the G550 soon.

Running 2 identical viewsonic a70f+ monitors. Its nice to have 2 of the same monitors. Makes view as seamless as possible. Plus the viewsonics are nice sharp screens.

You can see what the view looks like on the attached jpg. All you need to do is stretch the program screen across both monitors. There you go.
www.canopyflightcenter.com
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

screenshot1.jpg

Sweeeeeeeet...

What I had in mind was more along the lines of having the Main editing window (the whole premeire app) in one screen and on the video monitor i'd like to display the preview feed. That's how alot of studios I've been in have it so the editor can check out what he/she is doin on an actual color matched video output display (like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2737035519&category=41806)

I just scanned the premiere help files quickly and didn't see much in terms of how to set things up like that...

If you are just wanting a preview on an output display, like the one in your link, you don't need dual-monitor.

We use multiple monitors to increase the working space. Preview is done through the edit deck to a 20inch Sony monitor. Most editors divide the monitors into one side with the edit/trim/scrub windows on the top and the timeline across the bottom, and all your bins and tools in the other.

I use the Samsung SyncMaster 172N LCD's. They are the minimum bezel version, so the displays are very close together. The video card/monitor combination has a published color correction, but I can say it's definitely not as crisp and true as some other monitors I've used. After corrections, I watch the output on the Sony monitor connected to the edit deck. The footprint of the LCD's is amazing. Taking two CRT's off my desk and replacing them with the LCD's gave me room to gather so much crap on my desk, I lose stuff on it.

Hey Cajones - I guess I misquestioned to begin with, my real question is how to go about setting premeire up to:

"Preview is done through the edit deck"

What do you mean, do you have like SVideo coming out from your video card into the sony monitor?

Thanks a bunch man!

The "Preview Monitor" setting is somewhere in your basic Premiere settings pages. Pull up the help menu if you have trouble locating it. The preview window will still be active on your computer monitor, but it will be full-screen on your preview monitor. It also displays whatever the edit deck is feeding to the computer. A good thing during batch captures, as you can note scenes that are very dark or have poor color.

The S-Video actually comes from my edit deck, which is connected to the 'puter by firewire.

So in my case having no edit deck, my edit deck would be my actual camera??

I wonder if I can just go from an S out on my video card into my viewing monitor....

Hey and thanks again Cajones - I'll do a search tonight in Premeire for that setting - didn't put too much effort into it the night before last as the beers had gotten the better of me ;-)

Yes, your camera would become your edit deck. You'll know you have the right setting when you can see the preview on the LCD of your camera.

I doubt you can use the S-Video output of your video card with Premiere, unless there is a setting on your Video Properties that allows you to configure the S-Video out as a second computer monitor. THe resolution, in this case would be very limited, at best. For what you want, I'd just go through the camera to the monitor, with an S-Video cable, and the audio connectors of your 3-into-1 cable.

- Cajones

Looks like I should just bite the bullet and get a miniDV deck eh?

Wonder how much those go for (looking now........)

HOLY MOLY! Better start savin (average around a grand)...

Thanks again Cajones!