ChrisDykstra

Using Gath helmet for camera

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on using a Gath helmet for a side mount camera setup. Some people have said that it is not that good because of the wall thickness.

I just want to hear from anyone who may have something to add here and would be interested in hearing from people who use a Gath themselves as a camera helmet.

Note I do not intend to put a stills camera on it, just want to put the DV camera on the side for some footage. I dont plan on flying camera for a profession (at least not yet) and if I do no doubt will buy a helmet that is more suited to this discipline.

I know quite a few guys who use them for camera helmets. Everyone I know who uses a gath also custom built their own mount onto it and they said the thin helmet made it easier to get the mount flush. Our two tandem camera flyers actually use them for tandems with stills set up on top. You can definately make it work if you want to, but there are definately better set-ups out there, and more comfortable, but they do cost more.

one thing to watch for... my girlfriend's Gath started getting cracks in the plastic along the seams and elsewhere, and that was happening without a camera, from normal use.

I know other people are using gaths, I just don't think the plastic is made to hold up to that kind of weight. Pretty expensive mistake if your helmet cracks and falls off in freefall.

Just my 2c : )
"Spread your legs and fly"

I'm in the process of mounting a PC101 to the side of my Gath. I also use mine only for fun at this time. I love the Gath because of it's narrow profile to keep it away from your riser. At first I was using a Velocity. Way too wide, so the camera would be pressed against my riser. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks how it goes, or if my camera breaks off at 10000 ft.

Hellou!

I have a good idea (or bad B|) to sidemount my Sony HC42 to Gath helmet. I have camera cover box already :) Im not yet familiar using glassfibre so should I use some other method? I could use some adwise if someone have done something like this. If I cant make this work I have to sell my other kidney for good camera helmet B|