johnny1488

uploading video

What hardware and or software would I need to load a video from a no digital camera (hi-8) to a pc so I could edit and burn to a dvd? Am I living in a dream world or can I play Joe Jennings with my 2 dock sitfly videos?

Johnny

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

One way:

If you can borrow a Digital 8 camcorder you should be able to plug in your HI-8 tape and export directly to a Firewire port on a computer. The D8 camcorder will digitize your footage. Macs are the easiest as they all come with firewire andiMovie editing software. PCs - You need a firewire port and some editing software of which there are many flavours.

Murray
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

You can get analogue cards - I've never owned one so don't know much about them though. There is a card called a DV500 (made by pinnacle i think) that comes with a cut down version of premiere and can accept digital or analogue input - i seem to remember thinking it was quite expensive (about £500 in the UK) and its quite old now. I haven't used it so I don't know if its any good.
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

Burning to DVD - Once again, Macs equipped with a "Superdrive" allow burning to DVD and come with the necessary software for creating your DVD Menus, etc. Easy to use.

The Superdrive equipped eMac or the 17" flat panel iMac will do everything you want out of the box.

Murray
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Are the imacs easily upgradeable? I only ask since 4 minutes of uncompressed video takes up approx a gigabyte on your hard drive so check your going to have enough space.
When I was in the market for a system about 18 months ago I decided against an imac because of the storage capacity.
I have an 80Gb hard drive that is used exclusively for capturing video to, i know nothing about computers and was able to fit everything i needed to my machine with no real problems.
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

If you want more storage for an iMac/eMac, the easiest way is to buy an external Firewire drive. My Mac dealer has offered to replace my 60gb drive with a 120gb drive...but I know I'd just fill it up and have to look at an external drive anyway. When I bought my iMac I thought that 60gb would be tons of space...HA! It was filled within a couple of weeks. It requires that I finish an editing project, burn it to DVD and then get the files off my hard drive.

I've also seen external Firewire enclosures that allow you to mount as many IDE drives as you want in brackets that can be swapped out of the enclosure. If you want to store lots of video, something like that might work quite nicely.

I have been burning videos...mostly family stuff... to DVD after editing it. The latest versionof iDVD (Apple's free DVD authoring program) also allows you to place data files on the DVD. So, I have been keeping the video fairly short and using the excess space for jpegs and my favourite video in DV file format so that I can re-edit it if need be or it can be exported to another format at some point in the future. (Like when the current DVD format becomes obsolete) I also make straight DVD backups of video/still files and keep them in a safe place away from home.

Murray
--
Murray

So its safe to say that I would need to get a card with an input for firewire for my tower and the software to run it. ( i dont use mac ...yet). As for the mac I've heard they are great for art, video and photography but how do they work otherwise. All I use this glorified typewriter for is word processor and the internet via IE. Is a mac realy that different to use? Thanks for the input by the way

Johnny

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Hi Johnny,

I use Macs for everything...accounting, Excel, Word, video, photography, internet surfing, mail, etc, etc. They really aren't very different to use. I use both pcs and Macs daily but like my Macs better.

I bought my first Mac three years ago specifically to edit video of my kids. The iMac DV Special Edition had just been released and it looked like it was ready to go out of the box...Firewire and iMovie. I just wanted an easy solution and this looked like the best option. So, I ordered one by mail order...there were no Mac dealers where I was living at the time. It arrived, I unpacked it, set it up, plugged my Digital8 camcorder into the firewire port. iMovie told me that the camcorder was connected, I used the onscreen controls to rewind the tape and then clicked on the import button. It really was that easy!

For the first while, I found some of the differences between Windows and the Mac a bit frustrating but as time went on I got used to the differences and slowly really came to like my Mac. It takes a while but it's not that different than upgrading from one version of Windows to another.

If you are inclined to check them out, go to a Mac dealer, not a big box store, as they will be able to show you how the included software works...the staff in the other stores likely won't be able to tell you much about them.

Feel free to e-mail me or PM me if you have more questions.

Blue skies,

Murray
--
Murray