Billy

Getting Permission for:....

OK Gang,,,
Will be getting the new PC set up soon and starting on a 2002 highlights video,, I already have several "orders" for it,,, some basic questions:
1: Do I have ta have permission to use someone in the video?
2: What about music,, Do I have to get some kind of a release to use it?
3: Any of you interested in a copy to give me some feedback when it's done?:P
I plead ignorant to copyright laws and don't want to get into any trouble right off the bat with this business venture,, any sources of info are much appreciated and you can PM me with stuff that may just clutter it up here...
Again Thanks!
Blue Skies

Natural Born FlyerZ.com

1. The best way to ensure that there is no trouble is to get them to sign a release form that you come up with. Especially if there is going to be any nudie shots. Guys I know that have put together boogie videos do this after editing. A couple of years back, vid guy got sued for a nudie shot of a girl drunk out of her mind and doing a strip tease on the rigging table.
2. The research that I have done on the music thing..... as long as you list the artist, title, and put the copyright info in it's okay to use the music. Just make sure that you give credit to them and they will usually not bother with ya. (Watch the credits of a movie... notice how they put the songwriter, title and record company.)

God luck with your highlight reels. Did this last year with two boogies...Casa and a Otter boogie. 7 cameras and over 100 hours of footage. It's not as easy as it sounds, I promise.

A release is a good idea, especially if you plan on marketing it any way, or if the footage is questionable.

On the music... the right way to do it is to get what are called sync. rights (synchronizing images with music)... this can cost big $$$ if you are using current music... the other option is to use royalty free music... you can find this in the back of mags like Computer Video Maker (do a search in this forum, it has been discussed before)... With limited local distribution it is not likely to pop up on anybody's radar screen, but if it does just listing the title, artist, yada, yada may not keep the legal types off your back.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke