Austin

Sony TRV 98

I'm not ready to start jumping a camera yet, but I came across a Sony TRV 98 Hi-8 video camera at the store today for 199.95 (marked down like $150-200 because it was a display i think). My question is this: if I got this camera now, would it be a decent camera to start jumping with on down the road? if not why not? if so, why? thanks
Austin

Don't know much about that model, but if you can afford to go mini DV you will not regret it. The cameras are smaller then high 8 cameras and the picture quality is much better as well. Plus, if you want to do some editing on the computer you will have digital video to work with. If you use high 8 or VHS-C, you will have to convert your analog signal to digital before you can edit. You can get into a new Sony mini DV camera for around $1000. When you do buy, make sure to go with Sony if you are looking for a skydiving camera. Sony has some features, like lanc ports that other brands do not have. Most of the camera accsories for skydiving support Sony. I have a Sony TRV-30 mini DV camera and love it. It is a top mount camera. If you are looking for a side mount you might want to check out the Sony PC-110. Hope this helps.
-Dave
"Gas...Undercarriage...Mixture...Prop...Beer"
B|

The Sony Hi-8 format was and probably still is a decent(though not the best) format for use in skydiving...I shot many many hours of Hi-8 footage..... However you will be limited
in terms of playback features. You will NOT be able to get
slow motion , or a good pause frame...and may only have a fade to/from black, or maybe mosaic fade.... you won't get
any overlap, or wipe, while in camera mode..... As mentioned in another post,,, mini dv is better.....but more$$$$$. You may try looking for a SONY "Digital 8" which is less costly than mini dv but more than Hi-8.....because the digital8 camera uses the 8 mm cassettes, which are a bit less to buy,,, and because you can do some slo motion and freeze frame pauses with the Dig8 which you can't do with the Hi8.
Hi 8 was state of the art back around 1994 1995 and they were costly then,,,,over a grand......the picture quality available today in mini dv may be a bit more $$$$ but may be worth it.... Explore the cost and availability of at least the dig.8 ... to get the features which you would be happy with.
I can go out and buy an F-111 PD 190 for example,, and maybe get a good price on it,,,, but would I be happy while I'm using it????? In light of what else is now out there and the current state of the art of camcorders, a few dollars more, invested now, may be worth it........jt