freeflycracker

Another question. moisture?

I am considering a Maxxum 5. mainly because of the size and weight. I read, photo site again, that it wasnt sealed very well against dirt and moisture. If you happen to fall through a cloud is it going to have a negative effect on the film or equipment? The other camera I was considering, albeit a heavier larger more expensive one, is the Canon Elan 7. If anyone had any opinions.

I know this makes me sound like a cheapskate... but unless you have a name like jennings, mcgowan, or kent... and make your living from freefall video and pictures... Spending a lot of cash on a camera is not going to give you the return you are looking for. I know a few guys that jump with $3000 on thier head, and they suck at it....
I also know another guy that for years used an old HI-8 and a crappy little Nikon... but he was ALWAYS where he needed to be to get "the shot". A $1300 Olympus digital or a $800 dollar Elan cant take a good picture if its not where "the shot" is.... If you are new at this, dont blow your wad on great stuff, use it wisely on 'dependable' stuff... In freefall, a $289 dollar Rebel-X will shoot a picture that looks just like the one taken by the $2000 EOS-1. Unless you are TRULY a photography afficionado, you will never be able to tell the difference.
What is going to give you more pleasure... showing your buddies the 'new gear'... or listening you people say "damn-thats a good picture... What kind of camera did you use? WOW, you took that with a cheap little ______ ? "
I use a Canon EOS rebel 2000 and get great results.
I know 2 others that use the same...
2 guys that use EOS 630...
(1 guy that owns a 2000 dollar Olympus digital but he shoots his tandems with an EOS 630)
and a few others that use old Nikons, Minoltas etc.....
Dont buy junk, but then again you dont need to over do-it...
Example... why spend 2000 on a canon eos1 when a $289 rebel x uses the same lens and (when used in a 120 mph head wind) takes the same picture...
Now ... you could buy a canon reble x- (no pop up flash) but what do you need a pop up for if you are taking tandem stills.... a pop up is only 'really good' as a fill light, so if you are going to be shooting night 4-way, get a shark fin and a real flash unit ... you'll get better results... another good choice (although slightly more expensive than the rebels) is the canon eos 630...older model but still lots of them out there
no pop up flash, but the dang thing is just about bulltproof....
cameras with all that fancy 'pupil responsive focusing systems' are wasted technology if you have it on top of your head... most of the time you will probably be using manual focus anyway....
As long as it can accept a remote shutter release, you should be in buisness.....
spending thousands of dollars on 'high speed' equipment is money better spent on lift tickets....of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong