mikeo

RDS packing technique

Was wondering if anyone had any advice on a good way to pack a Velo. with an RDS. Been jumping with the removable slider for a few years now but tried using the cords for having the d-bag come off this weekend and had one opening with line twists and one where the cord from slider and d-bag went through the lines. Both were from sub terminal, only two to four second delay.

This should help: [url]http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/RDS_operational_instructions.pdf

Things to look at:
Body position
Attention when placing bag in tray
Stowing excess line with rubber band.

Also, what aircraft are you jumping from?

Regards,
Rick Paradis

If inside there is no enemy, the enemy therefore on the outside cannot harm us. African proverb

Thank you for the link. I did look at that when I was hooking up the full RDS. I packed it as neat as I always do (was a packer for six years and always pack my shit better than i did others cause I dont have time constraints on my stuff). Exiting an otter at 5k. Body position is good cause I do mostly hop and pops anyway. I love how the canopy flies without all the drag but the problems with opening suck. Wish someone would put out a video on how to pack them without all the snaps that the new comp velo has. Just looking for advice on how to pack it so that I don't spend 2500 feet clearing a mal. Thank you again for the help

Is your pilot chute collapsing completely? Are you jumping a high quality RDS like Scott's design or are you jumping something that doesn't have controlled corners and a swivel? If you are on Scott's (or PD's) design, are you using a Slink or a rapid link at the swivel?

Also, are you going to terminal or are you staying way under terminal? I've found the 100-105mph range is about perfect for deploying a Velo with a full RDS and HMA lines.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yea bought the RDS from scott back before PD started selling them. It has the swivel and I use a slink to attach the swivel to the cords. What did you mean by pilot chute collapsed? It is after deployment but cocked like normal for deployment. Exiting an Otter at 5k and only doing a 2 to max 5 second delay. Lines are not HMA but spectra or vectran.

Welcome. Got me??? I have the snaps on my Velo but decided I like they way it opens without using them. I'm using the UPT RDS and have had great results. Dave mentioned deployment speed hence my question about aircraft.

I would suggest trying three variables:
Have another video the openings
Increase the delay
Have another experienced Velo/RDS pilot pack for you

Hope you can get it sorted out!
Rick Paradis

If inside there is no enemy, the enemy therefore on the outside cannot harm us. African proverb