dzromeo

Aerodyne ZPX Canopy Fabric

On this forum, I have found much information. A good portion of it has been wonderful and when cross-checked with local experts and riggers I've found the majority of it to be fairly accurate.

Without doubt, many of those exceptional minds have had some experience with Aerodyne's new canopy fabric... A material which they refer to as "ZPX".

I'm looking for a bit of intellectual discourse about the merit of said fabric. Obviously, the possibility of making stronger fabric with lower density and decreased pack volume is attractive. I imagine that were there no tradeoffs in integrity and durability of the material we'd all rather have those perks.

I'm sure that the Zero Porosity coating used by Aerodyne hasn't changed. I'd venture that whatever company makes the fabric spools of the "hex weave" cloth would sell that same cloth to PD or Icarus and then PD could coat it with silicone to make it zero porosity and make a Velo out of it. Unless of course there are proprietary agreements between Aerodyne and the patent holder on the fabric weave.

Has anyone jumped and compared two canopies of the same design, but with the different material? Can anyone verify the claims made by Aerodyne as to the benefits? Or is it simply too early for impartial experts to have had the time to make fair and accurate assessments?

I hope that the discussion here proves to be informative and educational to an up and coming canopy pilot like myself, and useful for anyone in the market for a new canopy.
Plan the dive, dive the plan.