freefly30

safire 1 150

I have about 200 jumps on a Safire 1 149. That thing is a monster!! Very nice canopy, but a couple of cautionary notes are in order.

A Safire 1 149 is equivalent to a 139 in other models and against a Safire 2 149. They cut them differently and it is approximately 10 square feet smaller than comparable 150s. I just got a Safire 2 149 and indeed it is a bit larger and much more tame than my Safire 1.

The openings are brisker than a Safire 2. Not spankers, but brisk. Perhaps because the Safire 1 is older and has more jumps, perhaps because of the line trim lengths. Also, my Safire 1 has a much larger slider than my Safire 2. The snivel on my Safire 2 is long enough for me to give thought to my opening height. Never had that with my Safire 1. The Safire 1 was more like a sub-terminal reserve.

The steering lines on my Safire 1 are shorter than my Safire 2, so much so that front risers would "buck" on the Safire 1, so i did not use them much. Even after i relined it it would still feel much less stable on front risers than the Safire 2.

For a 150, it does not lose a lot of altitude in a toggle turn and has a short recovery arc. ie does not want to stay in a dive but levels out rather quickly. You should definitely play with it up high to see how it works for you.

The Safire 1 i have was bought used and the former owner would swoop the shit out of that thing.

All in all, a Safire 1 is a bad-ass canopy. If you don't like it, email me and I would be interested in buying from you (if it is not real ugly)...