airborne82nd

ok I have demo'd for a year now and its the Crossfire2 for me. here is why.

A hard time on this website

But that's all, right?

Let's flesh this out a little. His profile says Sabre 150 at 1.17. Let's say he put on a couple pounds since then, and is now at 1.2 as described. That gives him an exit weight of 180 lbs. Let's compare that to the Crossfire2 line, and we see that the closest thing to that WL is the Crossfire2 119 at 1.5+.

So when we look at real numbers, real sizes, and the the scope of the downsize, can see that it's a bad idea three different ways. For starters, he's going from a square to a fully eliptical canopy. The rule of thumb is to make one change at a time. A square to a semi-eliptical (Sabre1 to Sabre2)? Not as bad. Semi-eliptical to a fully eliptical (Sabre2 to Crossfire2)? Also not as bad.

Next, he's skipping two sizes. Again, the rule of thumb is one size per downwise, yet this guy is sailing right past the 135/129 size, and moving straight into a 120/119 size.

Finally, and this is more my personal opinion, but I think the range of the downsize makes it even worse. To move up .3 lbs per sq ft in one downsize wouldn't be as bad if it was from, say, 1.6 to 1.9. Starting with 1.6, you're already on a 'generously loaded' canopy, and you have an idea of what it's like to fly a 'small' wing. The transition to a 1.9WL wouldn't be as dramatic.

When you're starting at 1.2, and let's face it, there are jumpers flying at 1.2 just off student status, into a canopy at 1.5 (which many consider the 'threshold' to HP WL) is just dumb. What happened to 1.3, or 1.4? Where did those go?

There are a dozen different ways this guy could be making a better choice, but really, he's making every mistake there is, and all at once. You really think getting some shit online is going to be his only problem?

Hey malrefaei,

sabre 1 -> crossfire 2 - This is at least two steps in Design!
wingload 1.2 -> wingload 1.46 - This is at least two steps in size!
That sums up to 4 steps in canopy progress!

ONLY(!) 150 jumps on a canopy is not the skill that makes you bulletproof.
There are people out there who handled that steep way but I assume there are also a lot dead who tried...

My suggestion ist if you ask here DON'T do it that way! You are not the one and more important - you don't have the right people on yours side if you have to ask here.

B|

well i was in Europe for the past whole summer. and i was flying cf2 129 and i loved it. But when i went to the site to order a one, its says in their site "We recommend wing loadings from 1.4 psf to 2.1 psf." and 129 is less than 1.4.

Really appreciate your replay :)
www.alrefaei.com
www.youtube.com/refaei
www.twitter.com/refaei
www.instagram.com/refaei

You really think getting some shit online is going to be his only problem?

Not at all. All your points are well made. He may get away with it, or he may not, but for sure he is exceeding all recommended limits.

Just saying that he will be getting shit here.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA