aqrst

Learning to love a 7 cell

I am in need of advice. I made the switch from a Vengeance 135 to a Specter 150 this past year. I loved my Vengeance, but due to some issues that PD could not resolve they kept it the last time I sent it back for inspection and when they called me to find out if I still wanted another Vengeance I told them to ship me a Specter instead. I loved my Vengeance... once and if it opened properly it was a joy to fly. The Specter opens so beautifully, but is a dread for me to fly. I made the switch because I've never been a good canopy pilot and I just wanted to find a canopy that would be forgiving. I've been working on some flat turns under my Specter, haven't gotten in to the front risers yet because I'm still trying to find the point where I can plane out my Specter before the flare.
I am 190 out the door, not a small girl by any stretch of the imagination, and I am committed to becoming a good canopy pilot so any advice that is given would be a great help.:$

I am committed to becoming a good canopy pilot so any advice that is given would be a great help.

Actually Skydve Dallas is a great DZ for getting quality 1:1 canopy coaching. I suggest talking to the DZO... get yourself set up with a local coach who can focus on your particular needs. There are many specific points that could be addressed online, but it sounds like general instruction on canopy flight would benefit you. If you have difficulty finding someone who'll do onoing teaching with you (over several days instead of just 1 afternoon), let me know and I'll talk to some friends in your area

Chris

Dallas has many very skilled canopy pilots and I am looking for someone who will teach me about the wing and how to control it, not just teach me how to land it without hurting myself. I would imagine this process would take several weeks and maybe longer. Is there someone at Dallas you could recommend? I know most of the folks out there since I am on one of the Dallas 8 way teams. I would rather someone recomend an individual(s) that I could contact.

[reply I know most of the folks out there since I am on one of the Dallas 8 way teams. I would rather someone recomend an individual(s) that I could contact.

Since you do RW, You may already know Rob Laidlaw in Whitewright. I attended one of his week-long canopy control courses in Daytona, FL about 6 years ago. He straightened out some misconceptions I had about canopy flight, and taught me some new tactics for accuracy and good landings. Even if he's not currently teaching classes like that, I'm sure he can hand pick someone suitable in your area. I called the DZ and he wasn't currently there, but I suggest you talk to him next time you're there. Just explain what you're looking for. If somehow that doesn't work out, let me know and I'll talk to a friend who jumps in Whitewright... but really Rob is a great resource.

Chris