skydivenagasaki

Good transition canopy...

I'm currently flying a Crossfire2-139 loaded about 1.6 (I'm 220lbs out the door). I have 620 jumps and the last 350 or so have been of the swooping variety. I'm fairly current (about 400 jumps per year and I'm looking at downsizing towards the end of the year or beginning of next after about another 150-200 jumps wearing weights to bump up to about 1.7. What's a better transition before going to cross-braced down the road: a Crossfire2-119 or a Katana 120. Both would be loaded roughly 1.85. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Given a choice between the XF2 and the Katana, I'd take the Katana but that's just because it suits my flying style better. Both are good canopies so try and demo both.

On the other hand before you downsize why don't you let us know what kind of approaches you're doing (from the time you open until the time you land). If you've only done about 350 or so I'm sure there's a lot more that could be worked one to best prepare you for your move ahead.:)
How has your progression thus far been? Who has been mentoring you, etc?

edit: As you're in Colorado, please don't discount density altitude in your equation. As it is your canopy already flys the equivalent to a smaller one at sea level.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

My question to you is "why do you think you need to ever buy a crossbraced canopy?" Do you plan on competing under one? If so, then I would advise you to first get involved in the discipline with your CURRENT canopy which, by the way, is loaded pretty heavilly for Colorado elevations. You only need to be able to fly your canopy 180 feet to make it entirely through a Speed course and to reach the maximum scoring zone in Zone Accuracy so there is simply no reason to rush into downsizing. Ultimately though, if you are not to be talked out of downsizing, then I would choose the Katana as I feel it has a longer recovery arc than an XF2. That said, there is seriously no reason to downsize just for the sake of downsizing.

Chuck

I think i saw a few of your swoops this weekend, if i have the right guy. What you are doing looks good (if i have the right guy) so keep it up. Might i suggest getting some coaching on your current canopy. There are MANY drills and manuvers that you can do on the canopy you are flying now while on hop n pops that will improve your skills greatly. There are some basic skill sets that you will want to perfect before moving to a smaller more high performance canopy.
I have an essential skills class this sunday and i have room for you if you want it. I will also be doing some one on one coaching this saturday, so i could offer some pointers then too if you would like. Don't let the "Essential Skills" wording scare you off, this class is for everyone! Swoopers get as much from it as anyone else, it is great information and leads right into advanced 1. IMHO, everyone should take this class. (Essential Skills and Advanced 1 are based off of the Flight 1 program)
Let me know if i can help.
Jason T

I think i saw a few of your swoops this weekend, if i have the right guy. What you are doing looks good (if i have the right guy) so keep it up.

I fly the green xfire and helped you set-up your demo 230.

I have an essential skills class this sunday and i have room for you if you want it. I will also be doing some one on one coaching this saturday, so i could offer some pointers then too if you would like.

What do you charge for the 1-on-1 and for the class?

"and if you don't like it then 'Hey Fuck You'"
--The Beastie Boys--

why don't you let us know what kind of approaches you're doing (from the time you open until the time you land).

Approaches have been everything from double-fronts, 90s, 180s, 270s, upwind, crosswind, downwind (up to about 12mph), small carves crosswind to upwind, rear-riser plane-outs, all starting from full-flight, 1/2-3/4 brakes, and rear-risers; all while keeping accuracy in check.

"and if you don't like it then 'Hey Fuck You'"
--The Beastie Boys--