extremesports

Try Blade Running .....

Hi,
I would like to try Blade Running with my friends. We tried launch from slope, but we hadn´t speed, when We ran. We little bit hovered over slope only. ( ON PICTURES :ph34r:) Wind was OK and slope have 30° angle. I tried with Sabre 150 and Spectre 120.
We want to try from airplane and We have some questions. (Each of us have over 1000jumps on high performance canopy, but we haven´t experience with Blade running)

Do we need bigger angle slope, example 45°?
Are this canopy OK for blade running?
main:When I start swoop in right point, is it possible to fly off far from slope, if the slope have 30° angle? , because there is little place to lose altitude around landing area - Of yourse, we need copy slope ;)

Another experience?

Thank´s :)

I am NO authority on Ground Launching. But from my brief experiences attending the Ground Launching Camp, being able to launch down a hill depends on the slope of the hill, the current wind conditions and the canopy size and type (different canopies fair better or worse in different winds and different slope conditions). But one thing I can tell by looking at your pictures is that you're in deep brakes (problem with flying in brakes is that you're flying slow and close to the stall point of the canopy). It's still possible to blade run while flying in brakes, but I had much better performance by getting on to my rear risers and flying them down the hill. But be warned that unless you've got good conditons (the right slope, the right winds and the right canopy for the slope and winds), getting on to your rears may not be doable. Plus be warned that your canopy will surge down a few feet while you transition from brakes to rears. So make sure you have a few extra feet of altitude to give up before you make the transition. But if you can transition, watch out. You may end up having a little too much fun. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

That slope looks remarkably similar to the training hill at the Ground Launch Center in California (meaning that it is launchable, but don't expect too much from a small hill). What sort of winds were you launching in and what was the wing loading of the canopy? If the winds were high and you were on a fairly lightly loaded canopy, then this might explain why you felt like you were hovering instead of flying down the hill.

Jim Slaton (my Ground Launching mentor) has told us that the optimal wing loading is in the 1.3 to 1.4 range. But once again a lot has to do with the slope (the steeper the slope the easier it is to launch and the higher loaded the canopy can be), the winds (the lower the winds, the large the canopy and a more open nose will work better whereas in stronger winds a higher loaded canopy will work and a more closed nose canopy will be better). So there is a lot of variables to Ground Launching. And if you watch Jim and Dwain (Jim's launching mate), then both are carrying multiple canopies up their larger hills and deciding up top which one will work better in the different conditions on the slope they are launching from.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

By photos, a corner of a slope of 20-25 degrees.
Optimal slope: 30-35 degrees for ski & snowboard launches.
For foot launches - 40+ degrees.

Ski lines are very critical to a wind. Many of them are in a corridor from a wood. It is not necessary to fly at a wind of more than 3 meters per second, or a head wind than 6-8 meters per second there are more.
www.speedflying.ru
Mountian Fly School