bertusgeert

Becoming a kickass canopy pilot

Having seen videos of factory teams showing what they can do, I'm starting to think more and more about putting more focus on my canopy flying.

Most jumpers with my number of jumps do not really concentrate on learning to fly their canopy to its full extent (which I know is an ongoing process that will last years.)

Coming into skydiving I thought that Freeflying is what i wanted to do. But opening high and playing with the canopy is much more intruiging to me. I loved planes since I was a kid, and my canopy is like a sweetassed plane that you can do incredibly cool things with. I love it.

I know that getting a coach is very valuable, but i need to actually get a canopy first! I am reading every article on canopies possible, i'm watching every video, and reading every thread.

What is the quickest way of learning how to be a kickass canopy pilot - what are some good tips on learning? How much do I need to get into CReW, and how do I do that - or work towards that with 38 jumps? And is this too early to even be interested, do I need to wait longer?

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

You're ready for CRW already. All you have to do is know some CRW Dawgs willing to take you up and do a downplane :)
I ordered Brian Germains book. I haven't received it yet but from what I hear and what I know about Brian, I'll bet there's a ton of good stuff in it. Keep in mind it's book learning, so go practice what you read. When I've read the book, I'll post comments on it.

Try this link as well -->:) <-- Click that.

Good information is included on that page.
Good luck!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Something that a lot of people forget is that the factory pilots are usually doing 700+ jumps a year. That level of currency and experience teach them a lot. What you are seeing on their videos are the best of clips. For every few good pond swoops there is a not so successful one.
On most the videos you are seeing people with a few thousand jumps doing canopy swoops and flights. Experience counts for everything in skydiving.Watching a video is not experience, getting out and doing it is.

Honestly sit and talk to an experienced coach and define reasonable goals and how to get to them. Have them be brutally honest on their coaching. Be prepared to find out everything you are doing is wrong. Learn all about your canopy now, make smart canopy decisions in chosing a canopy to buy, don't push the limits too fast, and keep your medical insurance paid up.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

here are my .02. set your own goals in canopy piloting it can range from just surviving the freefall, to becoming a sick swooper, or a CReW dogg, just define what you want to do with your canopy. then find the best guy on the dz that is willing to help you buy him/her a beer and pick their brain. see if they'll do jumps with you, film your landings, give you tips. also, don't just learn from one person or one discipline learn from all things.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

im in the same situation you are. i dont necessarily want to do CRW but i do want to learn how to fly the hell out of my canopy. im a little frustrated with myself and my canopy control. i was thinking about getting brian germain's book, i just hope its aimed towards low jumpers as well. anyways, just wanted to say i know the feeling and have the same questions you do.
:)

Thanx for the link hookitt, I have read those several times, and always refer to them to come up with a "diveplan" for my canopy flight.

I dont know any CReWdogs, but I will look for someone with a bit of experience. So what experience is necesary, or needs to be focused on when I want to become good at CReW? I have tried everything with my risers, and play with them often.

How close should I come to someone with almost no CReW experience? I guess it will also be better if the formation was planned on the ground.

Phree - that is tru man, you dont always think of that. It sucks too - cuz now that they are sponsored, they just become so good and are so current to that no one can catch up. One day dammit!!!:D

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

I dont know any CReWdogs, but I will look for someone with a bit of experience. So what experience is necesary, or needs to be focused on when I want to become good at CReW? I have tried everything with my risers, and play with them often.

All you need to start learning CRW is a USPA A license. Learning the basics of CRW can be pretty quick if you're already familiar with the functions of your risers and toggles. To become "good" depends on your definition of good =]

How close should I come to someone with almost no CReW experience? I guess it will also be better if the formation was planned on the ground.

I would not match someone who is wanting to learn CRW with someone who has little experience. If you have a knowledgeable, well-practiced CRW Dog flying with a newbie, the experienced guy can take care of 99% of potential problems because he or she knows how to avoid them.

There are experienced CReW Dogs around the world who could give you a good introduction to CRW. Just drop into the CReW forum here on Dropzone.com and let people know you're interested and let them know what state you'll be in... there's a good chance you can find someone to teach you the basics.

Chris Warnock