johnny1488

Damn, I like my new approach

Just started working with staying in deep brakes before my 180 and holy cow does it want to dive more! Its tough to say when I started the turn but up high my canopy seemed like it would kill between 200-300 feet in a long 180. Going from deep brakes first, up high I'd swear I killed 500 everytime. And I set up a good deal higher before going into it and it felt like I could dive a lot longer. I hate setting up low and this made me feel like I had a lot more control over how much altitude I could kill in my turn. It made the speed a lot more "in your face" too. I was also complomented by the one and only Kaz Sheeky on a nice swoop. Now that made my weekend. Am I just discovering what was already the norm?

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Yes, I like that too. I approach the landing in full glide, then go into brakes to make me swing forward, release the brakes to make the canopy dive and as it starts to dive, I pull a front riser down and shift my weight into the turn. Oh boy does it dive! The speed you build up is just tremendous! I can do a 360 fr and pull the second fr if I'm too high with no problems. If I don't use the brakes prior to risering, the fr pressure is way higher. And: you can also save some altitude if you're setup wasn't right by approaching in deep brakes (then without the body-forward-swing). But I wouldn't do it on windy/gusty days. On those I much prefer maximum pressure on my wing. And make sure you start this maneuver really high as you need to build up the speed before you can stop the dive!!! Obi

hey John,
have you been using your rear risers to land? I thought I saw some of that action on your landings this past Sunday.:-)
As to flying in deep breaks during your final approach, that helps a lot huh (specially for us girls!). Just keep a heads up as to your stall poing, and try to let up your toggles evenly, meaning letting up both at the same time so as to avoid line twists at that altitude... yikes!)
Nice one!
T

Kind of a reply to everyone:

One reason I went to trying the deep brakes thing is Im not on a canopy that I can do a long carving turn or keep in a dive as long as I want to. Im on a xfire2 169 loaded just under 1.4 so my range is somewhat limited. I liked the amout of altitude this added to my dive. I also set up on the far end of the dropzone, past where anyone goes on their downwind as to not cause havok. I'd hate for someone to do what Im doing in the pattern, so I dont do it. Obviusly canopy pressure, ect is campromised. Im not doing it to be in the most efficent flight mode.

Thereza:
I havent done anything with rear risers yet. Im not out for pure distance yet. I can tell a lot more about my approach and plane out by how slow my canopy lets me go. On less than perfect approached I am running at the bottom end but on a nice one (like the one with the girly yelp that I got chastized for, thanks by the way!) I can fly it till there is nothing left, so for now, rear risers arent my concern. Its all floating around in my head though. A few more landings like sundays and Ill be tempted to take my chances with the Princess!

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

A few more landings like sundays and Ill be tempted to take my chances with the Princess!

Go for the pond! Just joking... The swoops look great. In fact, I have yet to see many jumpers with your size canopy, wingloading, and experience pulling off such consistent swoops. Now we just need to sort out your girl/shriek/cheer thingamagiggee... right John?
I actually thought that you had been using your rear risers all this time.