MGentry26

Xaos21 vs. Xaos27

I'm currently jumping a Xaos21 98sqf at about2.0psf. I've never jumped the 27, but I've been thinking about it. The max sus. weights on the 27 are the same at the 21 minus 10sqf canopy size. So for me to get simmilar performance on the 27, I'd have to goto an 88. Any one try both or have any suggestions.
Mike.

2.24 is approximately what my winloading is on a 78, same as and 88 would be for you.

I wouldn't use the Max suspended weight as the performance comparison though.

That said, Lets just say, Try it you'll like it.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I have jumped the 72, 78, and 82 Xaos 27 and I believe the same sizes in the 21 plus a 90. I firmly believe that you do not need to go down 10% in size(or up in loading) to be at optimal performance between these canopies. As was already mentioned they are two different canopies. If you are looking for the loading that will give you similar performance to what you have, you would be best to stick with what you have. What are you looking for? It is hard to define optimum.

Josh
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

I'm just wondering where I want to go. I can't increase my pack volume at all, and I'd like to go for the 27. It would be ok if I went a little smaller, but I feel that I have a good loading. I've seen people at 2.5 and it just seams like the performance drops off after too much loading.
I'm also interested in the different charactaristics of the 27. How does riser pressure differ between the two? how about turning, etc. I'd like to know a little more about the differences between the 2. You say they are two different animals? How???

Thanks

Mike.

I have a 98 21 and have jumped a little larger 27. I think if you want the "same" wingloading, maybe a 5% smaller 27 would be it, but that is splitting hairs.

One thing I notice. Andy and Luke, on 27's turn lower than me, enough to scare me. Ack! I have heard them say 'he will turn higher than us' (refering to a good swooper on a 21 cell). Andy has a bit higher wing loading, 2.2 or 2.3 or so compared to my 2. They are always first down, or on the pond, so that is why I know where they turn.

It sort of seems that the 21 dives more. Based on what I said above. I don't know about riser pressure and stuff, who cares, it is all manageable. I do know the 21's open like butter. Probably a touch better than the 27, but again, splitting hairs.

My next canopy will likely be a 93 Xaos27. They smoke.

----------------------------
bzzzz

I have been jumping a 83 Xaos for the last 18 months and after some early deployment problems the openings were sweet and i loved the the canopy, but now i am jumping a 77 Xaos27 (2.2 wing loading)and its awesome.

The openings are slightly faster than the 21 but have been consistently on heading up to now. I would say the riser pressure is similar on both but the 27 does not seem to dive quite as much in the turn.

I decided fairly soon after getting my 21 that i wish i had got a a size smaller and now i am glad i did. There is a noticable difference in full flight speed and i am doing a lot of altitude hop and pops just for the fun of being a pilot.

The 27 definately packs up a lot bigger than the 21, but then again there are six more cells. The pick up at the end of the flair is superb and just when you think you have run out of lift there's a little more left in the tank.

The biggest difference for me though is that i have just been on a canopy course run by Chris Lynch in the UK and it was superb. Chris really puts all his points across clearly and the following day i landed my first rear riser landings (I was like a first jump student jumping around in the landing area) if any Brits are thinking of going on Chis's wing tips tour then do it, you wont regret it.

I think the bottom line is that both the Xaos canopies have great performance but the 27 is a different beast altogether.B|:)
My life is in Xaos!!!