SHARKY

Flaring Techniques

B|

I have been watching as many videos as I can get hold of to try and pick up tips for improving my swoops.

I have noticed that different jumpers use their brakes in different directions to brake.Some are pulling straight downward whereas some are pulled outward horizontally to the body either sideways or backward.
I noticed that on the latter two techniques the rear risers are deformed and I wondered weather this has the same or partially the same effect as using your rear risers for surfing.
Does it improve the distance or is it purely down to the jumpers preference as to technique. I am slowly trying to build up to using my rear risers and I wondered if any method of flaring is a good place to start.
My life is in Xaos!!!

noticed that on the latter two techniques the rear risers are deformed and I wondered weather this has the same or partially the same effect as using your rear risers for surfing.
Does it improve the distance or is it purely down to the jumpers preference as to technique. I am slowly trying to build up to using my rear risers and I wondered if any method of flaring is a good place to start.

yes, to a point it would do the same effect as pulling down on rears. you are pulling the risers out, and barily, if at all, pullin down on the brakes. i would say this would help make you swoop a bit longer.

later

i would say this would help make you swoop a bit longer.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it makes your swoop longer...ok maybe a little baby bit, but nothing really worth depending on.

Since you have guide rings on your risers, it doesn't matter a ton which direction you pull on the toggles. Sure, there is a bit riser deflection, but IMO it's a minimal change. A true rear riser/break or pure rear riser approach lets the canopy plane out without hanging any extra fabric in the wind to slow you down right away (and reduce your distance).

Of course, it's easier to stall a canopy with rear riser inputs (as compared to your toggles), but they can certainly be used to increase your swoop. I think there are alot of other things I'd work on first, but that is one way...

Third leg risers, on the other hand, force you to be much more conscience about how you're flaring, as the inputs translate up the lines and can cause directional change (skating) while flaring...this can be good or bad. So much fun stuff, so little time!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

I have developed techniques where I like arms out/elbows in with wide toggle input for speed/distance swoops. I feel can lean into my straps better. I feel secure with the control aspects of being wide in those applications.

I like having my wrists/elbows close to my body if I'm carving. Personally, I broke my thumb and have jambed my fingers learning/developing carves. I don't know if that means anything?

Three-risers seem fine, I've only used them about 20 or so times with a samurai. The guy who owns it swears by them. I felt the urge to pull back and behind with those, I guess I could get used to them.

Rears are fine too. Being delicate and discriminate are lessons I have learned about extending glide by rears only... I have only rare occasions to fly a whole swoop on rears, so thats the extent of my input/experience.

--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

yes, to a point it would do the same effect as pulling down on rears. you are pulling the risers out, and barily, if at all, pullin down on the brakes. i would say this would help make you swoop a bit longer

from an aerodynamic stand point I think it would hurt more than help. If the rear risers deflect along with a toggle input then the whole canopy's angle of attack increases causing more drag. It might help to give a little more lift, but I think it would hurt the distance by killing speed faster.

I had a rigger sew some "4" guide ring extensions" to my risers because of this theory. My swoops tend to be just a little bit longer because of the less distortion to the rears. My angle of attack doesn't change as much (on video) when I go to toggles and my speed tends to stay higher longer. I switched back to some risers that were the same length, but without the extensions on the same no wind day and I ended up with consistantly longer swoops with the extensions than without.

It might just be me and the way that I fly, but these are the findings that we came up with.

The reason that I chose a 4" extension was because from head on video, it appeared that the way that I flare cause a 4" distortion in the rears. Now with the head on video, there is hardly any distortion at all and my canopy doesn't seem to "drop" me nearly as much when it is time to shut it down.

Not saying that they are bad, but I just couldn't get used to triple risers. They felt squirrelly and awkward to me, more like a BASE canopy. I also felt like I lost harness control with the triple risers too, but these are just my personal likes and dislikes.

Video is always a very helpful tool when trying to find a better way or solution to something in question. Most importantly, you might see something the third or fourth time around that you or someone else would've missed on the first go around.

Listo
Live today as tomorrow may not come