LawnDart21

Turn donw free altitude? Only cost me a grass burn on my foot!!!

Who would turn down free altitude? Not me, that's for sure! I was walking into the hangar yesterday to the sounds of a spinning Cessna prop.....room for one more....slot covered by DZ, get in the PLANE! I'm wearing flip flops, they come off, I have no altimeter, no problem, I'll pull high, extra goggles in the plane....cyrpess is on, pin check before getting in, I'm good to go, 3 minutes after walking in, I'm taxing for take off. I'm in shorts and t-shirt, but the important thing here is that I am bare foot......uneventful freefall, track deploy, pull, get set up for a nice surf on a no wind day. Set for a 270, crank the riser, start to plane out (oh, there is my girlfriend by the wind blade, time to show off and get a nice toe drag), only problem I am screaming in, and barefoot. I do a real nice surf, carve the end of it towards the windblade, and stop. Girlfriend gets the "Cool guy wave" from me, and I start to rope in my shit, when I start feeling this tingle on my toes, so I look down, and I'm like "Oh, shit, there used my be skin on top of all those puppies.....where'd it all go.......somewhere back in the grass I guess. So here I am today at work, in a suit and tie, wearing sneakers, becuase my toes are all scabbing over.....YUCK. "If your gonna be stupid, you'd better be TOUGH"......I'm such a dumb ass!!!!!!

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

Ouch. I have seen that happen a couple of times to other people...nice landing, just missing skin on whatever was dragging.

As much as I like to freefall with bare feet, I wear shoes almost always to prevent abrasions on my landing gear. Same thing with gloves. It sucks to have a good landing and still get hurt.

"Holy s*** that was f***in' cold!"

B|
I regularly drag my right foot as well and suck the surf down deep in the grass. Typically, I wear Tevas and I've lost a bit of skin on quite a few occasions.. Starting to build up calluses though.
I was over in Davis a week or two ago and drug my food through some dry grass. I looked down after the surf and had little blood dots all over my foot. I actually pulled a piece of dry hay (looked like a cactus needle) out of the top of my foot. It was in there about a quarter of an inch.. ~switched to vans~ screw that cactus grass…