Beachbum

landing uphill ...

I ran into a situation last weekend that I had not encountered before - landing going uphill, and quickly discovered that the "look ahead, not down" method I was taught to determine when to flare wasn't going to work, as I would obviously have flared way early. I overcompensated, and flared too late .. no injury, but sure not pretty! Any hints as to how to do this when landing on an upward incline?
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

Hey, I haven't been in your situation, but from what I've learned thus far, in any landing situation, you have to flare based on where you want to land. On horizontal ground, the flare point can be determined by height, but is actually governed by the set-down point. So long as you imagine an arc to your set-down point on flat ground, the theory should hold true for forward-sloping inclines as well. Base the flare point on where you want to be at the end of it.
but I'm no expert.... all I can say is if I were in your situation on a familar canopy, that's what I'd likely do.
"If I ventured in the slipstream; Between the via-ducts of your dreams.......could you find me?"

Well, at your wing loading and canopy size you can always go to half brakes. Than flare from there. The speed is much slower and a good PLF will help keeping you from injuries. If you are an experienced canopy pilot you could actually go up the hill through your flare, but that also has its limitations. A slight uphill is not that big of a problem for swooping it but a steep one might be really challenging. Remember that when you flare you generate lift. You can make the canopy go upwards by giving more flare at higher speed. Anyhow, I would recommend you go to half brakes next time on your canopy.
Alex

can't claim to be a good judge of that ... but not all that steep ... maybe 8 - 9 feet over 150 yards .. ?? ... but was enough to throw me off (was only my 34th jump) .. I think next time I'll break from the training and look down some!!
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?